Just Eat It

It was a bright sunny day. I walked just fine down to my car and drove to work. It was my first day back since I fell down the stairs. I was in a surprisingly good mood and ready for work.

The last few days were spent resting my leg and catching up on my favorite TV shows. I took advantage of being able to watch what I wanted. My ex-husband hated anything I wanted to watch.

On Friday, I looked at the time and found myself hobbling to the window that faced Gray's building. I wondered if I could catch him coming home. I watched and waited for fifteen minutes. When he didn't show, I assumed he had other plans. I made my way back to the couch.

I got to the office and walked straight to my desk. It looked like only a couple of other employees were there so far. I was surprised to see a beautiful bouquet sitting on my desk. They were yellow carnations.

At first, I thought Emily got them for me. Though, she knows I'm not a fan of carnations. And yellow ones mean rejection or an apology. I had some interest in the symbolism of different flowers. Maybe it was Dana or Charlotte. They're both sweet like that to send flowers and probably wouldn't know the meanings of flowers.

I set my small green purse down and smelled the flowers. It wasn't my favorite scent. But I was happy to think someone would even send me flowers. I sat down at the desk and turned on the computer. The screen was loading when someone came up behind me.

"You like the flowers?"

Oh my God. No.

I slowly turned around. "Did you get those?"

"Yup. I know you like flowers." Garrett smiled at me with his hand on my chair and spun me around.

"Why did you do that?" I glared at him.

He stood up straight. "Jeez, I thought you'd appreciate it."

"We're not dating anymore. Why would I?" I turned the chair back around to face my computer. It was still loading up.

Then Garrett spun my chair around again. He knelt to meet my face.

"Look, Gabby, I'm sorry about how I acted before. I do regret treating you that way."

"Do not call me that," I said coldly.

For some reason, both Garrett and my ex-husband called me Gabby. That pet name made me cringe.

"Gabriella." Garrett smiled. "I want to make it up to you. Let me take you out to dinner."

I rolled my eyes. "Oh, so you're asking me after Chloe rejected you?"

Garrett furrowed his brows. "It's not like that. I want to take you out and give you a good time." He winked at me.

I blushed and felt nauseous. "You're dumb."

I tried to spin back around again, but Garrett held the chair.

"Seriously, if you change your mind, text me. I'll take you to your favorite spot."

Garrett knew my favorite place was the newer restaurant, River Shore. They had fantastic burgers and a beautiful view of the river. I hadn't been there in a while. The thought of it made my mouth water. Then I remembered what Chloe said about getting free food from all the men in the office.

"You pay, then I'll go." I folded my arms over my chest.

He smiled. "Great! I'll meet you there at 7 pm." Garrett went back to his desk.

I rolled my eyes, remembering he didn't have his car half the time we were dating. After we broke up, he had to get his rides to work from someone else or take a cab often.