The Window

It was dark and chilly out after work. It was very windy and looked like it wanted to rain again. I reluctantly agreed to talk to Gray after work. He would have caught me outside my building anyway.

We both drove home at the same time. Gray strode across the street to meet me in front of my building. I wasn't sure why he couldn't have just talked to me at work.

"Do you want to go inside? You look cold." Gray saw me shiver.

"I'm fine, just the wind. So what did you want to talk about?" I tried to stop my teeth from chattering.

I had my arms folded over my chest. It was so beautiful this morning that I didn't bring a jacket. I only had my new yellow blouse with my light grey slacks on. I knew it would look good.

I wouldn't have agreed to go out with Garrett in the first place. I thought about the yellow pillow under my leg in the breakroom. Gray was so gentle with me that day. I wish he was more like that the entire time I've known him. I may have felt more comfortable with my new job sooner.

Gray sighed and slid off his leather satchel to take off his blue sports jacket. "Here. I don't want you getting sick because of me."

I hesitated before I took his sports jacket and quickly put it on. It felt so warm and smelled like a forest. He smirked with satisfaction seeing me wear it without putting up a fight.

If anyone asks you to help with their reports, come to me first. I don't want anyone to take advantage of you like that again. Everyone should know they can come to me with any problems with their work."

Gray had his arms across his chest now. He looked just as cold wearing a light blue long-sleeved button-up.

I wanted to laugh in his face. He didn't know how intimidating he was and that no one wanted to ask him for anything. But I couldn't laugh. He had been a lot nicer in his own way.

"Thank you, I will." I took off his jacket and handed it back to him. "Here. I'm going inside." I didn't know what else to say. Sometimes he made me feel like an idiot.

Gray looked down at the jacket and frowned. "Okay."

He grabbed it but didn't put it on. He just carried it under his arm and walked back to his building.

Once I got into my apartment, I heard cars honking. I turned on the kitchen light, set my purse down, and walked to my living room window. My apartment was three stories up. I looked down at the street and saw cars jammed bumper to bumper. I was thankful I got home when I did.

Light from a window across the street caught my eye. It was Gray's building. I saw a shadow walk through the room and turn on another light. This time it brightened up the entire room. The shadow wasn't a shadow anymore. It was Gray.

"Oh my God!"

I ran over to shut the kitchen light off again. I hoped Gray wouldn't look this way. I wondered if he noticed my windows facing his when he helped me inside with my hurt leg.

These thoughts played through my mind as I stared into Gray's window. Here I was, worried about him peeping in my window when I did it to him. I chuckled to myself as I continued to watch him. I couldn't help myself. Curiosity got the best of me.

Gray sat his jacket and bag on a side table. He stretched his arms and rubbed the back of his neck as he walked out of view. A moment later, he returned, but without a shirt on. I looked away and blushed.

"I'm a pervert," I whispered to myself.

I wanted to turn and continue with my usual after-work routine. I looked down at the couch and then at the TV.

What could be more entertaining on TV than what's happening in my apartment right now?

I looked out my window again and searched for his window for a second.

Gray had a shirt on again. A plain green T-shirt with those grey sweatpants again. He sat down on a small couch and crossed his legs. He leaned back and reached to grab a book out of his bag. He pushed his glasses up as he began to read.

It was probably the same book he read at work. Emily said he had been reading a lot on his breaks. She didn't know what he was reading and thought it was weird that Gray never talked about it. I wondered what kind of books he liked.

I went into my bedroom to change out of my work clothes and into my orange flowered pajamas. I was about to remove my shirt when I quickly turned to the bedroom window. I looked out to see if Gray could see me if he looked up through his window. I had my fill of being a creeper and finally walked away from the window.

Yup. I could still see into Gray's window, so he must be able to see into mine. I shut the flimsy white plastic blinds but still felt slightly exposed.

I froze as I realized I rarely shut my blinds in any window. Even when Garrett was over, we spent time in the bedroom. I blushed at the thought of Gray seeing us have sex.

"Eww." I shivered. I grossed myself out thinking about Garrett again. He was physically attractive, but his personality was ugly. I couldn't imagine what that must have looked like.

Then the image of Vince scaring Garrett and firing him made me smile as I changed my clothes. I returned to the living room and saw Gray hadn't moved from reading. I sat on my couch and finally started to watch TV.

Eventually, I forgot about everything until I got a text from Emily. I was shocked at the news.

 I was shocked at the news