Fireworks

I don't remember ever feeling this happy and this embarrassed at the same time. Everyone in the office wouldn't stop smiling at Gray and me. Dana and Charlotte practically tackled me into the break room after they saw me riding in Gray's car and then held hands with him on the way up to the office. They squealed excitedly when I told them what had happened the night before.

Charlotte admitted to me that she knew Gray had a crush on me for a long time. I was shocked. I thought he hated me up until I ended up in the hospital. I realized that I wouldn't have believed her even if she had told me that before. I still had some doubts. I was going to have to hear it from Gray.

The following week flew by quickly. There was so much going on. These new feelings with Gray. There was so much to unpack. But unfortunately, things with Autumn had not progressed as well.

Gray brought lunches for him and me every day. But there were three days that we found our food sitting on the counter next to the fridge. It had spoiled by lunchtime. We suspected Autumn right away but couldn't prove it. There were no security cameras in the breakroom.

Thursday was Chloe's birthday, and some of us brought treats to share with everyone. Autumn brought in a pan of lemon bars. Everyone took their breaks simultaneously to enjoy the treats together in the breakroom. Gray and I were the last to enter. We heard Autumn tell everyone they better grab one of her bars before I arrived, and they disappeared. And she laughed. Dana told Autumn to stop being a bitch. 

Unfortunately, Vince was out of the office that day. Autumn reported Dana to him for harassment. Dana explained how Autumn was saying rude comments about me. Autumn said she was just saying how everyone should try her bars, that they would disappear quickly because of their deliciousness. Vince couldn't do much about the situation except tell them to respect each other and everyone in the office.

I was so upset when Dana told me what had happened. I went to Autumn's desk and told her to keep it between us if she had a problem with me. Autumn pretended she didn't know what I was talking about.

Friday was the last straw. I had just finished some crucial reports for Vince's meeting with a new client. Autumn came around my desk with a full cup of coffee. She bumped into my desk, and the coffee spilled onto my laptop. The laptop fried, and I lost all the reports. Luckily, Gray had most of the information on his computer. He was able to help me throw it all together quickly.

I stormed into Vince's office. He was surprised to see me so angry. But again, we couldn't prove anything. It was most likely an accident. I grew tired of the excuses. Gray and I returned to The Black Cat to see what was happening with that bartender. Did he forget about calling Gray when Autumn came back to the bar?

"Where the hell is he?" I looked at the bar and only saw a woman bartending.

"He probably has the night off." Gray said in a calming voice.

"Hey! Excuse me!" I leaned over the bar.

The bartender smiled and quickly walked over.

"What can I get you, sweetie?" She asked me.

"When does the other bartender work?" I asked.

"Oh, he's been on vacation all week." She smacked on a piece of gum.

I looked up at Gray and groaned.

"Do you know when he'll be back?" Gray asked the bartender.

She perked up and smiled at Gray. She dared to wink at Gray! "I'm sure I can help you more than he can, honey."

I wrapped my arm around his. "When will he be back?" I asked her sternly.

The bartender rolled her eyes. "Sometime next week. Now, you want a drink or not?"