Chapter 18: Surgery.

A few weeks after Adam told Aurora the news, he began prepping for surgery. Adam had scoliosis. Aurora didn't really understand most of what the doctors said but she knew that the surgery would be difficult and risky. It worried her because Adam was he rock, what if he broke under the pressure?

The day of the surgery Aurora went the hospital with Adam, holding his hand as often as she could. She knew it was too early and she was too young but she loved Adam and she needed him. She loved all of his little quirks and how he loved Spider-Man. She loved the way he was the only sophomore who loved biology. She loved his hair and his glasses and they way he supported her. If something in the surgery went wrong, Aurora didn't know what she would do.

Adam was taken out of his room into the surgery room. As the took him away, he squeezed Aurora's hand tightly before releasing it. Once he was gone Aurora began pacing, trying to calm herself down.

He'll be okay. He'll be okay, she repeated in her head.

She didn't know how long passed. It could have been minutes, or even days, but Aurora was starting to worry. How was Adam? Was he okay? What if he wasn't?

Eventually Adam's mother took Aurora's hand and held it tightly. He had to be okay. He was so loved, why would he leave them? Aurora scanned the room but all she could see were the too clean sheets, the white walls, doctors in scrubs and patients in gowns. She had always hated hospitals, but she would never leave Adam to face this alone.

"Erin, are you worried?" Aurora asked Adam's mother, who was still firmly holding her hand.

"Of course I'm worried, dear. He's my son. But I know how strong Adam is. He's a fighter. He'll be okay." It sounding like she was trying to convince herself as much as she was trying to convince Aurora.

Aurora nodded and squeezed her hand, letting her know she wasn't alone. Erin gave her a small tight smile.

Andrew and Henri eventually came, but Adam was still in surgery. It had been about 3 hours. Erin and Aurora had talked about little nothings, trying to stop their worrying. It was a bit easier with Andrew and Henri there, but worry still evident in all of them.

About another half hour later a nurse came up.

"Mr. and Mrs. Walker?" she asked.

"Yes?"

"You're son is out of surgery."