Chapter 12

Life has a funny way of reminding you of how little control you have in certain situations. Just a while ago I couldn't hide my happiness when I saw what looked like Luke and his friends and now I'm trapped by the man who I thought would do anything to keep me safe. Jay glares at me hatred burning through his eyes and the disbelief at the obvious betrayal is clear. Luke who seemed happy a moment ago and was on the verge of tears at our long overdue reunion is horrified at the thought of losing me right before his eyes.

"I have to give it to you Luke, you have a very persistent heart, and look it finally paid off. Here's the thing though, I spent such a long time keeping her from you do you really think I'm going to let her go just like that?"

"When I took care of her three years ago, I set aside my life for her, everything I did was for her but somehow you always lurked around. Maybe she forgot about you but I knew she never really loved me, she just went along with it because she had to. After all, I'm the only one she came to know and I also knew it would only be a matter of time before her memory was back. Your existence haunted me every single day and part of me is relieved this nightmare is over." Jay seethes and with each word his grip around my throat got tighter. 

"I kept my guard up all the time ready for whenever that happened but it never came so I just let go and thought I had more time before that happened and that stupid doctor assured me. He told me............ he said......oh shit! It was him." Jay's look shifts to so many emotions I'm unable to keep up with and I use his distraction as a chance to escape. I stare at Luke in the eye and I know he's aware of what I'm planning to do by the slight nod he sends my way.

I throw my head back and I hear a sickening crunch as it comes into contact with Jay's nose who rushes to clutch it letting me go in the process. I run over to where Luke stands and I hear Jay curse as he realizes what he has done. I manage to reach Luke when a gun goes off and a sharp pain spreads through my side. I stare up at Luke's handsome face and smile as his fills with horror at the fulfillment of his worst nightmare. I turn back to the source of the bullet and I'm met with his body crumbling down from a bullet shot at him at the same time and behind him appears Charles.

I look him in the eye as I gasp for air and very clearly tell him, "Now I owe you nothing. You claimed the life you gave me."

My body begins to give out and Luke holds me tighter perhaps fearing I'd disappear completely.

"Mandy....." he whispers as a lone tear falls down his cheek.

"Sssh.....I'm ok. I finally have you back." I smile through the pain at this bittersweet moment.

"You're not ok. I just got you back I can't lose you now. I'll die if that happens." my heart breaks for this man who hasn't had a moment of peace since my disappearance three years ago and even now is still experiencing pain.

"Luke.... ssh.....I'll be fine. You trust me don't you?" I can see the obvious hesitation in his eyes and doubt starts to crawl back slowly.

"Of course I trust you. I love you so much, Mandy. So damn much."

"You still love me even after all that's happened? Luke, I couldn't remember you for three years, and in the process, I lived with another man as my husband. How can you still love me?"

"How can I not love you? I should never have let you go alone. I should have found you sooner. I should have been the......" I cut him off as I cough out blood and he scoops me in his arms and rushes out in panic.

"Please hold on Mandy. I can't lose you again, I just can't" he whispers as he runs out to where a group of Charles' men stands.

"Where is the fucking car?" Luke yells to no one in particular. I want to reach out and comfort him, tell him everything is going to be fine, that I'm going to be fine but my arm feels like they're made of lead. There's a warm buzzing feeling in my head and my heavy lids beg me to shut them and welcome the darkness. I fight so hard to stay awake but my energy runs out and I welcome the darkness with a smile.

At least I die in your arms, my love.