Prologue

Smoke.

Fire.

Ash covered the ground, and the usually bright green grass was blackened and crumbling.

But soon... soon it would come to an end.

Sxorces stood at the top of the tower, peering over the crumbling city. Faint sounds of terror from below could be heard even from his high vantage point. Wind ruffled his wing feathers, and gave the air a bitter taste from the smoke over the city.

He took a deep breath, smelling the smoke-ridden breeze. Finally. The Kingdom of Heaven would crumble in his grasp.

Sxorces perked one of his elf-like ears as he heard someone approach him. He didn't turn around, even as the angel spoke.

"What have you done?"

Sxorces flicked his tail in annoyance. "All I've done is what you and the rest of the kingdom failed to do. Failed to see. This place is supposed to be a utopia. Yet it is plagued with lies and deception."

Sxorces turned to the angel and smiled. "Don't you agree, Xana?"

The angel that stood behind him, Xana, was of medium height, with pearly white wings greyed from ash. His eyes were bright green, and glared at Sxorces with a look of betrayal.

"You were our King," Xana said, "We put our trust in you!"

"And that was the right choice," Sxorces said, turning around fully, "Why is it so hard to believe that this is the right thing?"

"Because it's not!" Xana exclaimed in disbelief, "You're burning the entire city, thousands have died already! What more do you want?!"

"What I want... is for this city to crumble. For its lies to crumble."

"It's wrong!"

"Do I look like I care about right or wrong?" Sxorces snapped, what was left of his sanity on the bridge of extinction, "This city will burn. And since you don't seem to be loyal anymore... so will you."

In a split second, Sxorces whipped around, raking his sharpened claws across Xana's chest. Xana screeched as his strike dug deep into his flesh, crimson blood pouring from the deep wound. Not quite bone-deep, but very well close.

Not willing to surrender, Xana struck back, grabbing his spear from its place strapped to his back and swinging it viciously at Sxorces. The former king effortlessly stepped to the side, grabbing the spear and twisting it from Xana's grip. Xana was thrown forward, then backward as Sxorces grabbed him by the back of the neck and flung him against the back wall. Xana coughed as he made contact with the wall, knocking the air from his lungs. He was trying to catch his breath when Sxorces walked over to him, putting his foot against Xana's chest to immobilize him.

Sxorces grinned. "That's what I thought. It's a wonder you were even appointed general. You're weak."

Xana grimaced, and looked Sxorces in the eye. His gaze remained hard and locked for a few more seconds before he sighed in defeat, looking down to the ground.

Sxorces pulled his foot off of him, allowing him to fall to the ground weakly. He was losing blood still from the slash across his chest, and some crimson dribbled from his mouth.

Sxorces turned around, walking back to the balcony to witness the destruction below.

But that was his last mistake.

With one last dying burst of energy, Xana pulled himself to his feet, picking up the spear the corrupt king had dropped. Sxorces turned around, hearing the sound of the tip scraping the ground, but suddenly let out a bellowing cry as Xana brought his claws over Sxorce's eye.

Blood spilled from the left side of Sxorce's face, his eye nearly gouged out. The remaining half of his face looked to Xana with fury, but quickly turned to shock. He looked down, where Xana's spear was now lodged in his chest.

Xana, breathing heavily, met Sxorce's functioning eye.

He tore the spear from his chest and let Sxorces fall to his knees.

Sxorce's breaths were shallow and quick as he looked up at Xana.

He knew his time was up.

"Mark my words, scum," Sxorces spat with his last dying breaths, "I will return one day... and hell will befall this horrid kingdom when I do."

He coughed, crimson blood dripping from his mouth as he collapsed on the ground.

Xana's breath shuddered as he looked down at his fallen king. The bloodied spear dropped from his hand, clattering on the ground by his feet.

The kingdom was safe now.

His legs gave out from under him, and Xana let out one last, drawn out exhale before laying cold and still on the wooden floor.

———

Merry Christmas, here's a new story >:3

And imma try not to put as many of these A/Ns at the end of the chapter in this book, so this may be the only time I'll put it.
But then again you never know

Anyway

821 words