Doubt

The Inner Circle. The demon King's small collection of people who helped him make decisions and basically run the kingdom. It consisted of five people: The king himself, King Sornax, as well as four other army commanders including Larux.

Larux was the one who had called the meeting. He was now pacing in front of the small council, his tail lashing furiously. As he had been for the past five minutes.

"Larux, would you kindly explain why you've called us here instead of just muttering to yourself?" One of the demons, Garnis, said. "We didn't come to watch you worry over whatever it is you're worrying about."

Larux looked up, realizing what he'd been doing. He sighed. "My apologies. I've come to talk about our soldier in the field."

"Omen?" Another, Knorxe, spoke up. "Is something wrong?"

Knorxe was Omen's father. Also the only one who seemed to care even an ounce about if he was okay in the angel world.

"He claims there's nothing wrong," Larux said, "But I can tell something's off about him. When I spoke to him, it's like he... was listening to someone else. Full on turned around like he'd heard someone. And it took me a minute to bring him back to the present."

Garnis snorted. "Incapable little twerp."

Knorxe slammed his fist on the table, standing up. "Don't talk about my son like that!"

"Enough!"

Knorxe swiftly sat down at Sornax's commanding tone. Though he still glared at a now smug-looking Garnis across the table.

Sornax exhaled sharply in annoyance at the two bickering demons. "Larux, do you think maybe you're overreacting at this? He might have thought he heard footsteps or something."

"I am not overreacting!" Larux snapped, "Maybe we should bring him back and make sure he hasn't, like, turned or anything?"

"Are you suggesting that Omen has been convinced to side with the angels in the one week he's been there?" Knorxe asked, disbelieving. "Hate to break it to you, but that doesn't sound like him. He has a stronger will than that."

"Well, maybe you don't know how strong his will is."

Knorxe glared furiously at Larux, but said nothing in fear of making Sornax exclude him from the rest of the meeting.

Cerelas, the only one of the council that hadn't spoken, said, "I believe Omen is perfectly capable of this mission. Larux, he'll be fine."

"But what if he's not?" Larux argued, "If something's wrong, he could jeopardize the whole mission!"

"I have to agree with Larux here," Knorxe claimed, standing up. "I don't want anything bad to happen to Omen."

Garnis rolled his eyes. "He could use the challenge. I say keep him there."

Knorxe gave him a venomous glare. Garnis, unfazed, chuckled.

"If we're voting, then I, too, say that he should stay," Cerelas said, "Omen is our only chance at infiltrating the Angel kingdom, and the only chance we will probably get for centuries."

Everyone turned to Sornax. He had the deciding vote, a custom among the small council. Sornax pinched the bridge of his nose, deep in thought. This decision would decide the fate of this mission.

Finally he stood. "Omen will stay in the angel kingdom. If he has any further suspicious behaviors, then we will cast another vote."

Larux opened his mouth to complain, but the king held up his hand. "That is the final decision, Larux. This session has ended. If you have any further doubts, keep them to yourself until I call another meeting on the issue."

Sornax stood and simply walked out the door, not even glancing at Larux as he exited.

Soon the others followed, except for Larux and Knorxe. Garnis elbowed Larux and gave him a smug grin as he passed.

Knorxe sighed. "Well, that could have gone better."

"I know," Larux sighed.

Knorxe walked over to Larux, putting his hand on Larux's shoulder. "I thank you for at least caring enough to tell us of his troubles. Even if it's mostly the mission you care about."

Larux nodded in acknowledgement as Knorxe left, leaving him alone in the empty meeting room.

——-

689 words