Demon King

The smoke made me remember the place Sxorces had sent me. The city that forever burned, falling, choking the air with thick ash... burying me in an unbreathable blanket of death...

I shook my head. I have to focus. I can't think about that right now.

None of the demons below came up to challenge me, even with Krel close next to me. It was actually a bit convenient. But I was surprised none of them just came up and attacked her anyway.

Not that I wanted that to happen. I was just surprised.

It wasn't hard to find Sornax. He was ordering some demons somewhere, probably to any parts of the city that hadn't been burned in this holocaust. I looked at Krel, motioning where to land, and she nodded, following me as we descended through the ash and landed in a nearby alley.

I saw her wince as she landed. Her rib was still broken. "Honestly, I'd feel better if you stayed here. You're in no condition to fight."

Krel waved off my worries. "It's a bone, it'll heal. Plus, I'm not standing to the side while you go fight by yourself against Sornax and the entire demon army most likely."

She had a point.

I could hear Sornax's commanding snarls at the other demons as we came closer. We crept closer from the alley, and once we got close, I gestured for Krel to stay hidden at least temporarily.

This was my battle. I let them in. I was going to push them back out.

I walked forward through the smoke. Sornax flicked his tail as he sensed my presence. He grinned as he turned.

"Hello, Omen!" He said, almost too cheerfully. "There you are, I've been looking for you. And I see your eyes are back to normal?"

I gave him a blank but accusing glare.

He rolled his eyes, muttering something under his breath before continuing. "What was that about, anyway? You said you'd explain that."

"I did, didn't I?" I said, "Unfortunately, I believe you're mistaken."

"Mistaken? I think not-"

"I was possessed," I explained flatly, "I'd rather not say more."

"Really?" Sornax chuckled, "Ironic. Thought that was our job."

I didn't reply.

Sornax gripped his axe tighter. Fresh crimson blood still dripped from the blade. The glow of the pentagram on it pulsed slightly with light. "You look like you have something to say."

I shrugged. "I guess I do."

"What is it then?"

I took a deep inhale. "I need you to leave. You and every demon in the city."

Sornax tilted his head. "Pardon?"

"Did I stutter?" I said, more aggressive, "Let me rephrase that. You will leave. You and every demon in Norxentor will retreat and not harm another angel or creature as you do so."

The demon king stared at him for a moment before he started to laugh. "Oh, those angels have rubbed off on you, have they?" He rubbed the bloody end of his axe. "What a shame. You were a fine soldier, Omen. But now you must hate me, for it seems you have been pulled to the angels' ways. So now you have to die with the other scum."

Suddenly, Sornax seemed to almost teleport forwards, swinging his axe at my neck. I swiftly ducked, but lost my balance, and fell to the ground. His axe was on my throat before I could recover.

"Now," Sornax grinned, "Any last words, Omen?"

"NO!"

A blur of pastel green and purple shot from the alleyway, tackling Sornax to the ground. Sornax, unprepared for the sudden attack, snarled in surprise as he fell, his axe falling from his hand and landing a few feet away.

Not knowing what else to do, I hastily stood up and ran for the axe.

A searing agony fired up my arm as my claws curled around the grip. I screeched, clutching my hand as I stumbled backwards. Blisters spread across my palm, blood slowly seeping through the now tender skin.

Of course it burns. He's the king, he'd probably have some kind of protection magic on his possessions.

Krel was thrown off of Sornax with a yelp as the demon recovered, snarling with fury as the angel was tossed to the side. He raced forwards, grabbing his axe and swinging at me again. I felt the breeze set by its passing brush the front of my neck as I stepped back.

My tails sharpened, and I growled as I lunged at him. Three whiplike blades sliced at the air, whistling as Sornax easily evading each one. Krel attempted to push him towards the sharp projectiles, but her tries were in vain.

This is going nowhere, I thought.

Out of nowhere, my hand reached forwards, surprising Sornax as I wrapped my hands around his neck. He shrieked in fury as his axe was once again tossed aside, his claws digging into my arms as he tried to shove me off. I held firm, my fingers pressing down on his airway to cut off his breathing. He choked, still trying to shove me away.

I pressed harder, harder still. I felt something crack under my fingers. Blood seeped from a puncture in the back of his neck. Sornax screeched, nearly splitting my eardrums from the proximity.

I couldn't bear it anymore. One hand gripped his horn, the other the base of his neck.

A sickening crack rang in my ears for what felt like hours as cold blood splattered my hands. Sornax's screeches fell silent, his mouth disconnected from his vocal chords and lungs. I still held his crimson horn, the weight of his skull still attached. His body was underneath me, blood pooling quickly where his head once was.

The demon king was dead.

"You."

I turned around. It was Garnis, a member of the king's council. I had met him once or twice, when they were having meetings about me. He didn't like me, and I didn't like him. Even before I killed the king in front of him.

Garnis's expression was a mix of anger and shock as his gaze flickered among me, the headless corpse of the former king, Krel, and back to me. A growl rose in his throat.

"Of course," he snarled, "They convinced you to betray your own kind. The others were blind, I knew your will wasn't strong enough."

I gave Garnis a cold glare. "Leave Norxentor. Tell the demons to retreat. Or I'll kill you, too."

He seemed to contemplate that for a moment before finally saying, "Fine. We don't have a leader here, anyway. But you are no longer welcome in the kingdom of Hell, you traitorous angel scum."

He snarled at me one last time before turning around, flying off into the smoky sky.

————

1133 words