Discovered

Of course this was the day I decided to walk in the streets instead of the alleys.

I don't know why I thought it would be a good idea. I guess I wanted to not seem conspicuous by using the alleys all the time. Something like that.

The sun beat down on me like a giant bonfire built all around me. I was in my angelic form, obviously, so it shouldn't have been too much of a problem. But it still stung. And by stung, I mean it burned. A lot. More than it should, it felt.

After a while of attempted mitigation of the pain, I finally gave in. I looked around before quickly darting into the darker alleyway.

The shadow was a tidal wave of cold relief as I stepped into the alley. I think my angel form is working less against the sun now that I've been in it for a bit. Annoying.

After going deeper into the alley, I eventually shifted back to my demon form. I stretched my wings as the feathers disappeared.

I don't know why my angelic form was so uncomfortable. I guess I just felt smaller, a bit more constricted.

Weakling.

Oh, shut up, would you? Maybe I'd be more open to your little deal if you left me alone.

I can make you stronger.

I shook my head in agitation. This guy can't take a hint.

I wandered around the small space for a moment, savoring the feeling of being in my own body again. I knew I would have to change back after a bit. Even if I stayed here until nighttime, I wouldn't doubt that there'd be someone out to see me.

Suddenly, some force ran into me, sending me a few feet forwards, unsuspecting. The other person yelped in surprise.

A sound that soon turned to fear.

I turned, knowing I'd been caught. Of course. Of course. Of all people, Krel had been wandering the alleys at the exact same time as I had been.

GREAT.

Krel backed up, her eyes drawn upward in fear. In horror of the monster she saw.

Me.

Her breathing was heavy and panicked, her wings flared in defense. She took one step back, then another. And another.

"Krel, it's okay-"

I tried to approach, but she only backed away faster, crying out in surprise as she tripped over an uneven section of ground. I could see her fingers tremor as terror took hold of her emotions.

"Krel, it's me!"

"Who, the devil?!" Krel spat, "Stay away from me, you demon!"

"No, no, it's Inarix!" I attempted to convince her, "I-It's just me! I won't hurt you!"

Yet.

"You expect me to believe that, beast?!"

"Yes! Yes, I do!" I replied. I quickly shapeshifted to prove it to her. My wings turned feathered, my tails melded into one, and I shrunk about five inches shorter. Keel's eyes widened with shock and confusion as she looked me up and down.

"W-what?! How is this... who are you?!" Krel demanded. "And don't give me whatever this 'Inarix' crap is!"

I sighed. "My name... my name is Omen Vyrol. And yes... I'm a demon. But please, please don't panic, I am not going to hurt you!"

Krel gave me a nasty, skeptical look. "And how am I supposed to trust you?"

"You can't. You just have to do with what you have."

Krel rolled her eyes, and started to get up. I offered to help, but she mistrustfully pulled her hand out of my reach and stood up herself.

She sighed, brushing dirt off of herself. "So why you here, exactly? And how can you turn into an Angel?"

"The reason I'm here is classified information, thank you," I growled, "And as for the second part, it's just something I'm able to do. I'm the only one who can, so you don't have to worry about anyone else being a demon."

Krel relaxed slightly (but only slightly) at that explanation.

"Well, if you're so secretive about this, why are you here in your demon form?" Krel asked.

I sighed. "I have my limits. Let's just say I'm not exactly on good terms with the sun."

"Humor doesn't help you here."

"Who said I was joking?"

Krel rolled her eyes. "Well, you're lucky I'm not telling anyone about this."

I tilted my head. "You're not?"

"Yeah. You're welcome. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have somewhere to be."

Giving me one last look, unreadable, she turned around and walked calmly away from me.

————

"[ERROR-404_File:chr.name not found]?"

"What is it?"

"You... you were right. It was Inarix."

"You saw him?"

"Yes. Talked to him, too. Seemed annoyed by being caught. Figures."

"Alright. Now I know who to go after-"

"Could you, maybe, not go after him just yet?"

"What do you mean?"

"I don't know.. erm... you said Sxorces was pretty powerful, right? If he's influencing him like you think, you could die."

"Hm. I guess you're right."

"Alright. I'll wait. Good thinking."

"T-thanks."

———

843 words