Insanity

A thousand bouncing balls seemed to ricochet around my skull, making a pounding sensation in my brain. The lights seemed to stab a blistering hole through my eyes, and I squeezed them shut again as I groaned.

I was in my demon form, so I looked about as sickly as I felt. My bones rubbed against my skin with minimal flesh between as I sat up.

Someone else walked into the room. It was Krel, her expression worried as she set something down on a table next to the door.

I glared at her. "What happened to me being some demonic monster that you don't want to be near?"

Krel shrugged. "I had actually come to apologize about that. I just... made assumptions. You know. Demons aren't a friendly figure around here."

"That's one way to put it," I replied grimly. I rubbed the back of my neck in discomfort. "How... long was I out?"

"A few hours at most," Krel confirmed. "Seriously, I'm no idiot. Something's wrong. You can tell me."

I winced. I had not told her about my recent visions, each becoming more violent and vivid with each passing day. I'm sure Sxorces isn't someone looked kindly upon in Angelic history, if he's known at all, so that wouldn't help my case at all.

"I just... I can't. You wouldn't understand," I sighed.

I grimaced as another dagger of pain pierced my skull.

Krel started to approach me, but stopped in her tracks as I gave her a warning glare.

I didn't want her coming near me right now. Not while I was like this.

Why did I care? I don't know.

Krel sighed. "Omen, seriously, what is wrong with you right now?"

I didn't have an answer for her. I just felt like I was losing my mind.

So I remained silent.

Despite my attempts to keep her away, Krel walked over and sat on the edge of the bed. She tried to put her hand on my shoulder, but I flinched back. Still, she reached her hand out and lightly placed it on my shoulder.

"You know you can trust me, right?" Krel said calmly. A comforting smile was gentle on her face, calming my thoughts at least slightly.

I sighed, avoiding her gaze as she tenderly wrapped my hand around my wrist. I felt slightly comforted by her touch.

Krel gave me a sad smile. "When you're ready to talk, you know how to find me. Just don't go walking around in your demon form on accident, let's not get you kicked out of the city."

She gave my shoulder a farewell squeeze before exiting, her tail flowing like ribbon behind her.

As I stood up, a bitter taste rose in my throat, and I leaned against the wall as I vomited. Dark blood spilled from my open mouth and onto the floor.

I coughed, and wiped a bit of the blood from the corner of my mouth. My hand was trembling, and shadows danced at the edge of my vision. I gritted my teeth as I tried to stand up straight.

You don't need her.

Your feelings will only hold you back.

His words sent waves of agony through my mind. Like he was stabbing me, over and over again, and I was helpless to stop him.

I didn't like that feeling. Being helpless.

"Just leave me alone," I begged aloud, "Please."

Tears spilled from my eyes as I fell to my knees.

I'm not someone who tends to cry. It was simply a sign of weakness, of vulnerability. It did nothing to help anything.

But I sat there and let the tears fall, burying my face in my hands as I sobbed.

Krel came back in, probably heard me from outside the door. Her expression was solemn as she walked over to me, wrapping her feathered wings around me in comfort.

I didn't push her away. It felt nice to be with someone who cared.

————

665 words