Floating Dreams

Ava awoke in a cold sweat

Ever since the fight at the Vatican, she had nightmares of the possible outcomes that could've happened if Lilith hadn't gotten the group out of there.

She had teleported the Sister Warriors into Jillian Salvius' villa, Mother Superion joining them a day later after getting Camila's encrypted message.

Ava rolled over, her heart pounding in her chest, her pulse ringing in her ears.

She got out of bed quietly and slowly, careful not to disturb Beatrice, who was asleep next to her.

Ava crept out of the room, closing the door behind her, attempting to make as little noise as possible.

She walked down the hallway, passing the rooms her friends were sleeping in and laboratories that held handfuls of Jillian's inventions and projects.

Ava continued to explore the area until she came across the balcony of the place. It overlooked the countryside.

It was the middle of the night, the moon at its highest point, the stars twinkling in the cloudless sky.

It was cool out, and Ava regretted not grabbing Beatrice's sweater that was on the chair in their room.

Ava leaned against the cold stone rails, staring out into the darkness.

Her nightmare played in her head over and over again like a broken record. In her dream, Adriel had won.

He had killed everyone Ava had cared about before taking the Halo and taking over the world, enslaving humanity.

The scene that kept flashing through Ava's mind was the image of Beatrice lying on the floor, lifeless, next to her sisters.

Ava was helpless, and she had failed. She was alone again.

The wind picked up for a moment, sending a chill down the Halo Bearer's spine and snapping her out of her thoughts.

Her skin broke out into goosebumps but Ava didn't complain. She never did.

Just the feeling of being able to feel something below her neck still put her in a state of awe.

Every touch of someone's hand or the feeling of clothing on her body set her skin on fire. Being able to move and feel and love made life worth living to the fullest.

Of course Ava got teased by Lilith and Mary because she took comfort and enjoyment from even the littlest things in her life like folding clothes, washing dishes, feeding herself, and walking.

She loved being able to do things all by herself. She felt like she had been a burden her whole life, even when she first joined the OCS.

The Sister Warriors helped her realize that she wasn't a burden, but someone who was new to everything and was still learning and experiencing and growing.