Roaring 20s

A/N: Inspired by the Spencer Reid quote from the show Criminal Minds

"How old are you?" Camila asked as the sisters sat around the table in the Convent.

Mary spoke up before Ava did.

"She's nineteen-"

"I'm twenty." Ava said. There was no distaste or anger in her voice. It was light and almost humorous.

All heads snapped in the Halo Bearer's direction.

"We missed your birthday?" Camila asked. Ava shrugged her shoulders.

"I don't really care about my birthday. At the orphanage, every year just reminded me that I was getting closer and closer to aging out of the system." Ava said.

Camila chewed on her cheek as she sat there in thought. Mary patted Ava's shoulder as she left the table.

"That simply won't do." Camila said after a moment. Ava gave her a confused look.

"We're gonna do your birthday right," Camila elaborated. "We're going to throw you a party. Don't worry, it'll be small. Just our group. Think of it like a small get together."

Ava would have argued but when it came to Camila and planning, there was no talking the Sister Warrior out of it.

Ava just smiled brightly at the nun and nodded enthusiastically.

"I trust you." Ava replied as she took Camila's hand in hers briefly.

Soon after their conversation, Camila went out to get party decorations without Ava knowing, dragging Lilith to join her.

Mary had gone to bed, and Ava had stayed up with Mother Superion and Yasmine to do their nightly check in with Beatrice.

Pope Duretti sent Beatrice and a team of tactical nuns on a mission and today was the second third night that the Sister Warrior had been away.

Ava missed Beatrice's company and the small but several gentle touches that the two shared daily.

She missed the nun's stern but soft voice whenever they trained or studied, and the bold, badass presence that Beatrice brought to any and every space that she occupied.

But Ava knew that every assignment that the Sister Warriors were given was important, and accepted the fact that it would be a while before she got to see Beatrice again.

"Anything?" Ava asked as she stepped into the room. Yasmine and Mother Superion shook their heads.

"No, not since a couple days ago," Yasmine said, the look of concern on her face. "None of the sisters have checked in."

Ava nodded in response.

It was unfortunate, but it wasn't uncommon for the Sister Warriors to miss updates.