The Five Senses of Avatrice (Touch)

Ava felt anything she could

The walls of the Cat's Cradle, the smooth porcelain of the bowls and mugs, the rough feeling of wood under her fingertips.

The simple fact of being able to move and feel meant everything to Ava.

After not being able to feel anything from the neck down for twelve years, she took satisfaction in even the smallest of tasks.

She dragged her palm along the stairwell railing.

She was supposed to join Beatrice for scripture lessons, but decided to take the long way to the library.

Ava had never really been a reader, but enjoyed the feeling of something solid in her hands and the time she got to spend with the nun.

Ava grazed her hand across each book shelf, gliding her fingers gently across each spine of a book.

The contact would make her fingertips tingle, a feeling Ava could never get enough of.

It was thrilling.

Moving.

The Halo Bearer found Beatrice tucked away in a far corner of the library, her nose buried in a book, a cup of tea in her hand.

She had a slight crease in her forehead as she concentrated on the text.

Ava sat down quietly next to the nun, carefully taking the cup from the Sister Warrior's hand and placing it on the table next to them.

Beatrice gave Ava a warm smile as she closed her book.

"Are you ready for today's lesson?" Beatrice asked, handing Ava a leather bound book.

It looked like it had survived a couple centuries, and was well used.

"As long as I don't have to read out loud to you, I'm ready." Ava said, chuckling to herself nervously.

Beatrice laughed softly as she shook her head.

"Well, I suppose we could read together just this once. Mother Superion thinks that one of the best ways to obtain knowledge is to read it aloud. It's like studying for a test and writing everything out you need to remember." Beatrice said.

Ava gave the nun her signature, heart melting grin.

"I've never taken a test, but I'll take your word for it." Ava said, nudging Beatrice's shoulder with her own playfully.