Chapter Forty Eight

Scarlett watched Errik closely as she took Julian's advice to heart. But some reason his smile etched its way back into her mind. Shaking it off to be greeted with a kiss by Errik, she tasted alcohol on his breath as well as smoke.

"Since when do you smoke?"

"It was a cigar. A bud at work got promoted and he wanted to celebrate with gars' and brandy."

"Oh."

"What is it? Somethings wrong...is it about last night?"

"No." She said, her answer stringing out longer than anticipated.

"It is...isn't it? I knew I should have stopped-"

"No. I just...I realized I know very little about you. I know about you being widowed but other than that...not much..."

"What do you want to know?"

"How many girls have you been with? Since then?"

"I feel as if this is an interrogation..."

"Not at all. I just. I am curious." Her eyes wavered from his.

"Sure it is...Julian talked to you didn't he?"

"Why won't you answer the question?"

"Why won't you tell me you talked to him?"

"That many? You wouldn't be defensive and evading unless he was right!"

"He isn't! I don't even know what he told you but I'm sure it's so he can get in your pants-"

She threw a hard slap across his face.

"Even though he is sick and has twisted desires, he has always been honest with me.

Slamming the door, she made her way back to school and sat in the parking lot. A familiar face popped into the window beside her.

"Want some company?" Julian asked as he sat beside her.

Nodding, she unlocked the door before he placed his books on his lap and looked over to her, seeing she had been angry.

"What is it?"

"Errik. He wouldn't answer my question. He kept evading it and saying you were lying just so you can..."

"So I can screw you?" His words were harsh against her ears. But she nodded.

"I had wanted to so bad when I first saw you, I won't lie. But I can promise you, I just want to look out for you now. I know the kind of guy he is...he's my brother for heaven sakes!" He said with a smirk. "I don't want you to get hurt..."

She looked over to him and without warning, pulled him to her and kissed him.