ii. a death call

IN ANNA ROWLY'S humble opinion, she couldn't think of a better way to be welcomed back to Hogwarts than water balloons blasting over her head. No, really! It was truly a miracle that she hadn't slipped on the wet floor. Peeves thought it would be amusing to welcome the students this way but no one else agreed so.

It didn't help that September 1st had brought with it a series of rain, so after successfully dodging it for the most part, Peeves had surely dampened her pride.

So she sat in the Great Hall, being one of the thousands of students groaning over having to spend the whole feast dripping wet. It wasn't a bother last year when she was too busy with the wonders of the castle but that'd worn off now. She took off her shoes and emptied the water and decided to remain barefoot like Harry did. Hermione was rubbing her hair furiously with a handkerchief and Ron began to sulk.

When Colin Creevey walked away after asking them to pray for his brother— Dennis to get Gryffindor, Nick, The Gryffindor ghost joined their table.

"Hurry up, I'm so hungry, I could eat a hippogriff." Ron moaned.

Just then Professor McGonagall marched into the Hall followed by the tiny first years who seemed to have rather swum across the lake than sailing.

Anna nudged Harry on the shoulder and jeered her chin at the staff table. "Look, the Defence seat is empty."

"Well, it's gonna be a new one again, isn't it?" Harry's eyes lingered on the seat for a second then turned to her with a boyish grin. "Y'know it's like a guessing game with that post— 'who's gonna be the better nutjob?' No offense to Lupin of course."

"Yeah." A small laugh escaped her lips. McGonagall brought the all too familiar Hat and started listing off the names. "I still can't believe Lockhart was a fraud though, I read all of his books, to think how many people he fooled.."

"Please don't tell me you were one of the girls who fancied him." Harry pushed his glasses up to his eyes that were wide open.

"Hell no. I've got better taste than that besides I always thought he was too old, if you haven't noticed— I've had the hots for Newt Scamander." She said the last bit quite proudly.