iii. double trouble

THE GOLDEN QUARTET FOLLOWED the other fourth years into the Great Hall for Lunch after the Care for Magical Creatures class ended.

"First pus and then Skrewts, so far the day's going absolutely brilliant." They heard Seamus mutter as he walked past them with Dean who was tending to the burn he received during the class.

Ron snorted.

"I think the skrewts were pretty cute." Anna told her friends firmly as they sat down at the Gryffindor table. Ron opened his mouth but she held out a hand. "But I do agree that they're a bit dangerous."

"For once I think Malfoy's right." Said Hermione as they helped themselves to lamb chops and potatoes. "The best thing to do would be to stamp on the lot of them before they start attacking us all."

Anna threw her a nasty glare as she began to eat very fast.

"Er— is this the new stand on elf rights?" Said Ron. "You're going to make yourself puke instead?"

"No," Answered Hermione, with as much dignity as she could muster with her mouth bulging with sprouts. "I just want to get to the library."

"What!" Said Ron in disbelief. "Hermione— it's the first day back— We haven't even got homework yet!"

Hermione shrugged and continued to shovel down her food as though she had not eaten for days. Then she leapt to her feet, said, "See you at dinner!" and departed at high speed.

Anna stared after her suspiciously.

"Don't tell me she took extra classes again." Said Ron, also staring at her back.

"Nah, I saw her time table." Anna answered, shoving the food into her mouth. "She's definitely up to something. Anyway—" She turned to look at Harry. "—Any news from Snuffles yet?"

"No." Harry frowned as he stirred the soup around his bowl. "It's been weeks since I sent the letter.. Do you think he didn't get it?"

"I s'ppose." Anna bit her lip. "We know he's on the run, Hedwig's probably having a hard time finding him."