Chapter 6: Late Night Conversations

I decided to go on my Ilu until night because I knew no one would try to talk to me, especially Omocan. I did this sometimes to I could actually have some time to myself. I didn't have that often between being the chief's daughter and constantly helping everyone out in the clan.

When the sun had finally gone away, I made my way back to shore. I didn't even want to go to my hut either. I had nowhere to go but to stay on the beach.

I climbed off of my Ilu and sent her away to rest after our ride. I made my way off of the dock onto the beach, the soft, warm sand touching my feet. As I got closer to the water, I laid down on my back and stared at the stairs. That was one thing I liked about living in an open area, the beautiful night sky.

"It's beautiful isn't it?" I heard someone say behind me. I sat up and turned around to see Neteyam standing there.

"What are you doing here? It's getting late," I said to him.

"I was worried because you hadn't come back yet. I wanted to make sure you were alright after what happened earlier," he said, walking closer.

"Yeah, I just needed some time to myself. I don't get that often."

"I relate to that," he said, coming up next to me. "Can I sit?"

"Of course."

He sat down and leaned forwards so we were sitting in the same position.

"What did you mean when you said you relate to that?" I asked.

"Well, I'm the oldest in my family. I'm constantly looking after my sisters and brother. Especially my brother. He's always getting into trouble."

"I get that. Even though I'm the middle child, I'm constantly looking after my older brother. He can be a troublemaker as well. I think that's why he and Lo'ak don't get along too well."

"I mean I do feel bad. He says that I'm the "golden child" of the family and that I never do anything wrong. I just try very hard to make my parents proud."

"Your parents are proud of you I'm sure. They would be crazy not to be," I said looking over at him.

"That's very nice to hear. Sometimes I don't think so. It's not fun having to constantly look over them instead of having fun with them," he said, letting out a sigh. I could tell he needed to hear that. Being the older brother has to be hard on him. I can see how stressful it can be.

"It's true. For the short amount of time that you've been here, I've seen that you are kind, responsible, and caring. They are lucky to have a brother like you," I said, giving him a smile.

He shook his head and smiled. "You really are amazing Y/n. I'm so happy that I met you."

"I'm very happy that I met you too Neteyam. I can't wait to get to know you better."

"Well then let's do that. Let's get to know each other better. It's not like we have anything else to do," he said, facing me.

"Alright let's do it. Let's ask each other some questions to get to know each other. I'll go first. Have you ever had a near death experience?"

He thought about it for a moment before answering. "Yes. It was actually not too long ago. Lo'ak and I were originally assigned to be spotters when my clan was raiding the sky people, but Lo'ak didn't listen to orders so, of course, I had to follow him down to the ground. I ended up getting injured when a Kestrel Gunship arrived and shot missiles at us. My father was not happy at all."

"I bet he was. I wouldn't be too happy if I found out my sons didn't listen to me."

"It wasn't my fault. I always have to make sure Lo'ak is okay even if that means I get into trouble too," he stated. "Alright now it's my turn. If you could do anything, what would it be?"

"Oh, that's a good one. Hmm. I think that if I could do anything I would want to get away from here. I don't like being forced to do things that I don't want to do."

"Where would you go?"

"Anywhere but here."

"Tell you what. If I ever get the chance to go back to my old clan, I'll bring you with me. We can run away together."

"That sounds like a perfect idea to me. I'm going to remember that from now on. Plus we're friends now. You can't just leave me here alone."

"I promise I won't. You stuck with me now."

I thought about it for a moment. The thought of Neteyam and I running away from here was a nice thought. Getting away from my parents and Omocan. Yes, I would miss my brother and sister but they would understand.

Neteyam and I talked for a little while longer. I actually got to know him really well and I was telling him stuff about me that I didn't think he'd be interested in knowing but he looked so invested in our conversation. It was nice to have someone listen to me.

The more that we talked the more I started to notice about him. His big yellow eyes were always observing his surroundings. He would look at me, then look around, then look at me again. He was constantly making sure nothing went unnoticed. When he would talk about certain things, his muscles would tense up, causing his muscles to look bigger. I'm going to be honest when I say it was attractive. Terrible to say I know. But I was actually finding myself being attracted to this boy. I wasn't against it either.

After a long time of talking, we decided that it was getting really late and we needed to get some sleep.

"Let me walk you back to your hut," He said, walking next to me.

"Alright come along then," I said, smiling. I didn't want to stop spending time with him but I knew our families were going to start worrying if we didn't get back soon.

We walked for a few minutes, trying to go as slowly as possible until we made it to my hut.

"This is where we part ways," I said, sighing.

"I know, unfortunately. I had a really nice time with you tonight. I hope we can get to know each other even more," he said, rubbing the back of his neck.

"Me too. You're an interesting Na'vi Neteyam."

"I'm glad you think so." He smiled. "Goodnight Y/n."

"Goodnight Neteyam." I gave him one last smile before heading into my hut.

I never knew someone could make me that happy. Our conversations kept replaying in my mind over and over again. Unfortunately, those thoughts were interrupted shortly after I walked into the hut.

"Where have you been?"