Chapter 20: The Battle

For several minutes, I tried to pull at the restraints to get out but it was no use. We were all stuck there until someone came to save us or the sky people decided to do something with us.

"What are we going to do?" Tuk asked as she began to cry.

"Aw Tuk," I said sadly. I felt absolutely awful about the situation we were in. "Everything is going to be okay. The others will get help. They'll come to rescue us."

And I was right. We looked off into the distance and coming toward us was the Metkayina clan and Jake and Neytiri. They were coming for us. I wasn't surprised to see that my mother had joined them, even though she was pregnant, nothing could stop her from protecting us.

The man who appeared to be in charge of the sky people walked over to Lo'ak and took his speaking piece off of him.

"If I were you I wouldn't attack us right now Jake. We have your kids and we are not afraid to kill them. If you come alone, they will be returned safely," the man stated.

I could see Jake look over at my parents and explain to them what was going on. I heard my parents scream. They were scared that the sky people were going to harm us or even worse. Slowly, Jake began to make his way to us.

"Be prepared to kill him when he arrives," the man said, walking away.

"No!" Tuk and Lo'ak both screamed.

Suddenly, I felt the boat start to move roughly due to the water below us. We soon realized why. Payakan had launched himself out of the water and landed on the ship, crushing a few people in the process. Everyone was thrown around, including us, but we were tied down so we didn't go far.

The sky people began to shoot him with their weapons but it was no use. Payakan was using his fins to throw people and slap them around. One of the men had gotten close to Lo'ak while he was shooting at Payakan so Lo'ak kicked him toward Payakan and he dropped his fin down onto him. Payakan let out a loud cry of happiness that he was finally doing something right for us. I guess Lo'ak was right. He wasn't a bad Tulkun after all.

This had given the Metkayina a chance to come after the sky people while they were distracted. They charged and began throwing spears at the sky people who were on the boats nearby. My father yelled as he jumped out of the water, stabbing one of the sky people in the chest with his spear. Others were jumping out of the water as their skimwing grabbed the sky people with their mouths. The sky people tried to shoot the Metkayina but they had a difficult time. Jake lunged at the sky people and began shooting back at them with his gun. Neytiri was above and began shooting her arrows at the sky people. It was a glorious sight. Tsireya, Lo'ak, Tuk, and I all began to smile because we knew that we would be rescued soon.

Payakan was in the water now, throwing people out of their boats. One of the men on the boats tried to shoot him with a harpoon but he missed, causing the harpoon to quickly go into the water. They were launched over a rock and almost crashed but they were able to stay afloat. Payakan was under the water and began to pull on the rope attached to the harpoon. He dove out of the water and wrapped the rope around the boat and began to pull. This caused the rope to cut through the boat and even cut off a man's arm.

Suddenly, I heard a thud on the other side of the ship and I quickly look over to see what it was. It was Neteyam. I let out a huge sigh.

"Neteyam!" Tuk cried out.

He quickly came over and released Tuk and Tsireya. He then made his way over to Lo'ak and began to smile.

"Who's the mighty warrior now huh? Say it," he said, rubbing it in Lo'ak face that Neteyam wasn't the one tied up. Lo'ak rolled his eyes and smirked.