Chapter 19: Rescue Mission

We quickly followed after him, almost bumping into several people who were frantically running around. We made sure that he didn't see us running after him so he wouldn't try to avoid us. As we followed him, I looked over and saw the frustration on Neteyam's face. I honest;y don't know how he deals with having three younger siblings. Lo'ak can be a handful on his own.

We arrived at the end of the dock and saw Lo'ak call his Ilu and begin to put a saddle on it.

"Where do you think you are going?" Neteyam said approaching Lo'ak.

"I need to go warn Payakan about the sky people before it's too late," Lo'ak replied as he got his Ilu strapped up.

"No, you need to stay here. Please Lo'ak, why do you have to be so difficult?"

"You mean why can't I be the perfect son like you?" Lo'ak was annoyed at this point.

I mean I do understand what it's like not being the perfect child so I can see where Lo'ak is coming from but no one is perfect. Even Neteyam has his own faults. He shouldn't be taking it out on Neteyam when he is just looking out for him.

I could see the hurt in Neteyam's eyes when those words came out of Lo'ak mouth. It made me feel bad for both of them. They were both two brothers who needed each other. Lo'ak needed his big brother to understand him and Neteyam needed his little brother to stay out of trouble.

"I need to help him. He's my brother," Lo'ak said, walking away from Neteyam.

Neteyam groaned and walked up behind Lo'ak, grabbing him by his shoulder and turning him around.

"Oh, he's your brother? I'm your brother," Neteyam said angrily.

"I'm going you can't stop me," Lo'ak said, diving into the water and climbing onto his Ilu. He quickly swam away from us before Neteyam said anything else.

"We need to go after him. Come on," Neteyam said, grabbing my hand.

He called his Ilu and we both dived into the water. He climbed onto the Ilu and grabbed my hand, pulling me on with him. I wrapped my arms around his waist and he grabbed my thigh with one hand to keep me supported and used the other to hold onto the handle.

We rose about the water and quickly went after Lo'ak. On our way by, we passed Tsireya, Ao'nung, and Roxto informing them what Lo'ak was doing and they followed along with us as well. Kiri and Tuk got word of what we were doing and followed us as well.

"What did Lo'ak say about Payakan?" I asked him. I had heard many stories about Payakan, the Tulkun who went rogue and killed humans and other Tulkun. Everyone was forbidden to talk to the outcast. I never knew if the stories were true or not.

"He's mentioned him before. Apparently, Payakan saved him when he was being attacked in the water, that's why he called him his brother. That's where Lo'ak goes when no one is looking," Neteyam said.

"Doesn't he know how dangerous that is? Payakan is a killer," I said to him. I was shocked that Lo'ak had even come in contact with him, let alone become close to him.

"Your father tried to warn him but he refuses to listen. Now look where we are," Neteyam stated. He was clearly annoyed and I don't blame him.

I leaned over to the side to get a better look at what is ahead of us and I noticed Lo'ak had stopped.

"Look ahead!" I called out to the others.

We rode up close and my sister called out Lo'ak's name.

"Please help! He's been hit with a tracker!" Lo'ak said panicked. He was on his fin trying to put it out of him.