Chapter 12: Compromise

I walked up and stood next to my father. I closed my eyes and let out a silent sigh. Please be good.

"What is it, father?" I asked.

"Ao'nung tells me that I am being too harsh on you. Do you think this is true?" He replied.

"Uhm I'm not sure how to answer that question. You've always been a little demanding but nothing that I can't handle."

"You know I'm not trying to be the bad guy right? I just want what's best for you."

I hesitated for a moment. "What if letting me make my own decisions is what's best for me?"

"And why do you think that's best?" He looked down at me.

"It would make me happier and I wouldn't try to go against you go much. If I was able to live my life the way I wanted to, then I would behave and be the daughter that you want me to be." It was strange finally saying all of this stuff to him. I never thought I would be able to tell him this, but here we are.

He paused for a moment as we sat in silence.

"Do you have feelings for this boy?" He asked

"Yes... I do," I said, hesitant about how he would respond.

"I'll tell you what. I will not forbid you to be around Neteyam but he needs to prove that he can be one of us because for now you are still set to be with Omocan. Once he shows that he is worthy enough to even be considered your future mate, then I may reconsider."

My eyes widened at what he said. Wow, Ao'nung really was the favorite.

"But he has no idea that I have these feelings for him. And I doubt he would even feel the same way about me," I stated.

I heard my mother let out a cough. I had forgotten that she was standing near us if I'm being honest.

"I think that it is very clear that that boy has feelings for you. He has done nothing but follow you around like a lost Ilu ever since he arrived. Everyone has noticed it," she imputed.

"And from what I heard, he's very protective of you, which is something only a boy with feelings usually does unless you're related," my father added.

I turned and looked at him confused.

"Omocan told us what happened at the beach this morning. We assumed his story was far off from what had actually happened," my mother stated.

I bet it was. He always liked to lie to get people to side with him. Usually, they find out that he's lying and will side with the other person. Hence why he doesn't have any friends.

"Thank you for reconsidering. I promise you won't be disappointed," I said, thanking them.

"You have your brother to thank. He was practically begging me to reconsider and told me how happy you've been ever since that family arrived," he said.

"Oh trust me I will be thanking him as well. He really deserves it. He's been a good brother lately and I'm very thankful for that."

"Now go on. Have fun!" My mother said, sending me off. "Make sure that boy knows that he's being watched now."

As I walked away, I turned around and she gave me a wink and smiled. As scary as that woman can be, she has always been there for me. I'm very glad that I have the family I do, even when they act like this. I just hope I can prove them wrong about Neteyam. He truly is amazing.

I made my way back to where the family was sitting and took my spot between Neteyam and Ao'nung.

"So how'd it go?" Ao'nung whispered.