GRADUATION

THE SCHOOL YEAR HAD PASSED BY, AND IT WAS NOW GRADUATION AND ALEX could not be happier. She had been waiting for this day since forever. She looked up to see her parents sitting up in the bleachers with big smiles on their faces.

Alex sat next to Gwen. She was so proud of her for earning the title of Valedictorian. She deserved it, but one person was missing. Peter.

Alex took out her phone and called him. Her leg was bouncing up and down as she looked around. When the line connected, she could hear the loud voice of her boyfriend-Peter Parker, "Hey, Um, sorry I'm running a bit late. I got stuck in some traffic."

"Gosh, Peter, your timing is terrible. It started already. I can see your Aunt looking around for you." She whispered.

"I know. I'm sorry. I'll be there." Peter promised.

In the background, Alex could hear the sound of several sirens but tried her best to ignore them, but she couldn't help squinting her eyes and asking, "Peter. Where are you?"

"Uhh, 1st and Broadway, 2nd and Broadway, 3rd and Broadway. Five minutes. Ten tops."

"Peter, are those sirens? And don't lie to me." Alex wondered, and there was a long pause between them before Peter answered.

"No.."

"Peter?" She remarked threateningly. "No.."

"Peter!" She whispered-shouted. "No, No sirens, I swear."

"You need to hurry-Gwen's about to make her speech. It would be best if you didn't miss it. Peter? Peter? Hello?"

"I'll be right there. Promise." The line disconnected. Alex looked at her phone with a complexed expression. When their principal announced Gwen on the stage, everyone began to cheer and clap.

Gwen cleared her throat before speaking. "Good morning, esteemed faculty and families of my fellow graduates. It's an honor to be standing up here today. I know that we all think we're immortal. We're supposed to feel that way. We're graduating. The future is and should be bright, but, like our brief four years in high school,"

Alex hung on to every last word Gwen was saying. They were on their own, now-it was scary, but it was also exciting at the same time. Alex had her whole life ahead of her.

One she hoped that someday she'd share with Peter. The thought erupted into something inside of her that she couldn't explain.

"What makes life valuable is that it doesn't last forever. What makes it precious is that it ends. I know that now more than ever. And I say it today of all days to remind us that time is luck. So please don't waste it living someone else's life. Make yours counts for something. Fight for what matters to you, no matter what," Gwen looked at Alex with a smile.