Chapter 26-Accident

Hey guys so here's the new chapter! Okay....so I'm sorry that it's really long again but there was a lot of stuff that happens.  This is dedicated to Nadie_Rae because she is a new fan and I welcome her! She's really cool and she made my book cover for my other story Second Chances.  Well anyways, she demanded that I post a new chapter asap so here it is!  xP Haha but seriously she's a great writer and you guys should check out her story Alley Kat.  It's amazing and very mysterious.  Well, hope you guys enjoy! :)

********************************************************************

Chapter 26-Accident

It's exactly 6:30.

I was in the living room reading a book when I heard the crash coming from the attic.

I immediately grabbed my sword from its place on top of the fireplace and started heading upstairs.  I couldn’t sense anything and I silently cursed myself for losing my powers.  I was vulnerable with whatever was awaiting upstairs.  I felt the muscles on my back tense and my palms began to sweat, making my grip on my sword slippery.

Quietly, I stood in front of the door to the attic and took a deep breath.  I heard the distant sound of voices coming from the other side of the door.  The voices sounded familiar and my heartbeat started to increase rapidly.  I knew those voices.  It was my….

The door opened before me and there stood my father with Calder a few steps behind him.

“Dad?  What are you-”

He held his hand up to silence me.  There was exasperation written all over his face.  He was wearing the white robe with red lining bordering the fabric, which was the attire that the Council of Elders wore when they were in a meeting.  He being here was not planned, it was unintentional.  His eyes were wide and filled with distress.

“Where is the girl?”  He cleared his throat and shook my shoulders.  “Where’s Gwen, Gabriel?”

I was startled and confused.  “She’s at home.  Why?  What’s going on?”

He went back into the attic and started to speak with Calder in hush whispers.  I followed and closed the door behind me.  I stood there looking at them back and forth.  Their faces became distress as the seconds dragged on.  I couldn’t take the secrecy between the two.  It was one thing that my powers had been revoked but I was still a part of the Keepers of Time.  I hadn’t been cast out.

“Will someone please tell me what’s going on?  If this involves Gwen I have a right to know.”  I clenched my jaw and crossed my arms over my chest.  “What are you two doing here?  Calder, you were just here a few days ago, why are you back so soon?”

“Gabe, there’s-” Calder began but was stopped by my father’s gaze.  Calder looked away from me and shifted uncomfortably from one foot to the other.  His gray-blue eyes shifted to look at me and then at my father.  He was debating whether to tell his best friend what was going on or to obey the leader of the council.

Putting Calder in the middle wasn’t what I wanted so instead I turned to my father and said, “ What’s going on?”  My voice sounded strained, pleading.

He cleared his throat and walked over to stand in front of me.  He placed a hand on my shoulder and said, “Tonight.  It’s going to happen tonight.” 

“No.  No.”  I said.  “Not tonight.  I just saw her.  I was just with her.”  I rambled.  I couldn’t control the anxiety in my voice.  “She’s fine.  She’s at home with her mom.  No, there must be a mistake.  We’ve made mistakes before!”