Chapter 27-Gwen

Hey everyone! Well here is the next chapter :) I'm sorry I didn't post any sooner...I wasn't having a bit of writer's block and wasn't sure how to write this chapter to fit into the story well anyways I hope that it's good and that you all enjoy :) This chapter is dedicated to Bananabread! She is a new fan and pretty awesome!  Her story "Beauty and the Beast" is a great twist to a modern classic.  It isn't like the other Beauty and the Beast stories and you should definitely go and check it out :)

Well...now...on to the story :) Happy reading!

Chapter 27-Gwen

I was looking up at Gabriel and his sullen face.  There was fear and denial in his eyes as he looked back down at me.  Everything in the room was so bright and my head hurt.  There was a sharp pain in my stomach and when I moved the pain flared up and I winced.  Everything was so loud and it wasn’t like the quiet serenity of endless happiness that I had been in for a few moments.  It was in my reach…everything so beautiful and simple.

“Gwen, I don’t know what you’re…”  I watched as his adam’s apple moved when he swallowed.  There was a waging battle between his mind and heart; keeping his secret or telling me.  It was too bad that I already knew but I still wanted him to tell me on his own.  I needed to hear it from him.  I understood why he kept it from me and I wasn’t angry with him like I had been when he erased my memory and lied to me.  This was something different.  This was something that he was afraid of; his greatest fear.

“You’re in shock.  You just woke up from an accident that put you in a coma…”  He kept on going with the facts of what happened just a few hours ago.  Being in a coma was news to me.  I thought there had to be a time frame where a person would be considered to be in a coma but I guess not.  Gabriel was nervous and I saw again the fear and denial in his bluish-green eyes that turned into a light gray.  I’d never seen that color of his eyes before.  I’d never seen his eyes transition from his bluish-green eyes to this light gray; it was unsettling.  It was like he was somewhere else and not quite here with me in this room.

“Please.  Stop.”  I said.  I tried to sit up but again the pain shot up from my stomach and I lost control of breathing for a second.  Gabriel helped me adjust and I ignored the pain as best I could as he did so.  He didn’t say anything.  He knew that I knew the purpose of why he came back to Fairfield.  I was right that the reason he’d come back was because of me but I didn’t know that it was to save me; to save my life.

He stood up and started to pace the small room.  I looked around for the first time and survived the room and myself. I saw that I had needles hooked up to my arm.  There was a subtle beep beep coming from a monitor as it copied the sound of my steady heartbeat.  A t.v was hooked up to the wall and suspended in a small shelf where patients would be able to relax and enjoy what the channels had to offer.  There was a small sofa by the window that looked out into the black covered small town; night had descended.  A coffee table was in front of the sofa and two chairs were set next to my bed on the right side.  Gabriel’s jacket hung leisurely on one of the arms of the chair.   It was dark blue and looked like wool but I may be mistaken.  It was just a regular jacket and I remembered that it was one of my favorites…

“How do you know?”  Gabriel said abruptly.

I sighed and turned to see him standing at the foot of the bed.  His arms were crossed and everything about him was guarded and strained.  The veins on his neck were visible and I knew that this was bad.  When he said I was in danger…well I didn’t think that I’d be in the kind of danger that I was in now or was.  I wasn’t sure.

“I just know.”

He cocked his left eyebrow and looked at me curiously.  Then his whole demeanor changed.  He looked like he had just realized something and he started to panic.  His eyes widened in shock.  “No. No. No. No.”  He ran a hand through his hair and was pacing frantically back and forth.  “Could you have….did you?”