Will I Be A Good Mother?

Emma was now 20 weeks pregnant. She had started showing a while ago.

She sat in her chair at the sheriff's station. One moment she was going through paperwork and the next thing she knew she was crying.

"Emma?" Her fathers concerned voice asked. This just causes her to cry even harder.

David walked over and put a hand on his daughters shoulder. "Are you okay? What's wrong?"

"Nothing. I'm fine." Emma lied, looking quite embarrassed.

David sighed. "Emma, we've been through this. I'm your dad, you can tell me anything. What is it? Is it Hook? Because if it is, I can always make it look like an accident."

Emma looked up at her father, horrified. "Dad, what the hell?"

David smiled. "I'm kidding. Well, kind of."

Emma gave her father a small smile and David relaxed.

"It's not Killian." Emma said.

"Then what is it?"

"I...I don't know. I was just thinking about...well everything. Do you think I'll be a good mother?"

David frowned. He hadn't been expecting that. "Emma, of course you will be. Sweetheart, where is this coming from?" He pulled a chair up and sat next to his daughter.

"I never raised Henry." Emma said, wiping a tear from her eye. "I've never done this. I mean, I have fake memories of raising him. But they aren't real. What if I screw up? What if the kid hates me?"

David sighed. "Emma, look at me. Just because you didn't raise Henry doesn't mean you won't be a good mom. You're already an amazing mom to Henry. The kid loves you!"

Emma choked back a sob. "But, I didn't raise him. I didn't come into his life until he was ten."

"I didn't raise you either." David pointed out. "I didn't come into your life until much later. I was terrified when your brother was born."

"That's different." Emma said.

"How? How is that any different?" David asked gently.

"Because." Emma sighed. "I wasn't mother material. You and mom are natural parents. Me? I have no idea what I'm doing. The two of you only sent me away to..."

"To give you your best chance. Is that not the exact same reason you gave Henry up?"

Emma didn't have anything to say and David could tell that he was finally getting through to her.

"Emma!" David said. "Emma, look at me." He waited for Emma to look at him before continuing. "You are going to be an amazing mom. There's no doubt in my mind about it. This baby will be lucky to have you."

At that moment Emma broke down. "You really think so?"

"I know so." David said as he wrapped his arms around his daughter and pulled her into a hug.

"Thanks dad!"

"Any time, Em. Any time."