Baby Shower

When Mary Margaret had mentioned a baby shower, Emma immediately tried to talk her out of it.

"I don't need a baby shower mom."

"Oh come on Emma. Of course you do!"

"I don't want one." Emma argued.

Her mother frowned. "Why not?"

"Because I just don't, okay?" Emma snapped. She immediately regretted it.
"I'm sorry. It's just...you know I'm not big on celebrations and parties."

"But Emma. You're having a baby. This is different. It's important." Her mother argued.

"But...it's too much work."

Mary Margaret vigorously shook her head. "No, it's not. I'm giving you a baby shower whether you like it or not."

"But..." Emma began.

David walked into the room at that moment.

"David, talk some sense into your daughter." Mary Margaret demanded.

"MY daughter? Since when did she become just my daughter?"

"The moment she became stubborn."

David smirked. "I think you'll find she gets that from you."

Mary Margaret smacked her husband on the arm. "Just talk some sense into her."

"Talk some sense into mom." Emma argued, her arms crossed stubbornly.

"Emma." Mary Margaret began.

"Mom." Emma interrupted.

"Okay." David said. "Would someone like to tell me what's going on? Why are you two bickering? This isn't like you."

"Mom wants to throw me a baby shower." Emma complained.

David frowned. He didn't see where Emma was going with this. "Okay, and that's a bad thing because..."

"Because I don't want or need a baby shower. It's too much work." Emma explained.

"I already told you Emma, it isn't too much work. I WANT to do it."

Emma sat there for a moment before stubbornly saying "well, I just won't show up then."

Emma and Mary Margaret continued to argue back and forth. Eventually David cut them off.

"Okay, stop it. Both of you!"

"But David"

"But Dad"

"No." David said firmly. "Emma, it's just a baby shower. It's just one night."

"See!" Mary Margaret said.

David turned to his wife. "But, if Emma really doesn't want a baby shower you can't force her."

"Ha!" Emma said.

Snow looked down. "I know, I'm sorry Emma. It's just...it means a lot to me to be able to do this for you. I missed out on most of your life."

"The guilt trip, really?" Emma complained. But she saw the look on her mother's face and sighed. "Okay...fine. You can throw me a baby shower."

"YES!" Her mother cheered.

"But nothing over the top." Emma said. "You have to promise me it will be simple."

"Simple. Got it!"

Her mother's idea of a simple baby shower was a huge celebration at Granny's. It seemed to Emma that if the entire town had showed up.

Emma sat in a booth looking extremely uncomfortable, when Regina came up. "I told your mother she was going a bit overboard."

"Just a bit." Emma smiled. "At least she had enough sense to skip the stupid party games. If I had to play even one of those ridiculous games..."

Regina smirked. "You can thank me for that. I told her that if she knew what was best for her she wouldn't put you through that."

"I knew I liked you for a reason." Emma joked.

Emma may have pretended to be upset about the baby shower, but deep down she was happy. She never used to have anyone who cared, and now she did.

Emma received a lot of presents that evening, but the best was the gift from her mom. It was a familiar looking unicorn mobile. The one that was supposed to hang over her crib back in the Enchanted Forest.

"I know you wanted ocean theme..."

Emma didn't let her mother finish before she threw her arms around her. "It's perfect!"