Chaprer 21

"I'm so tired," I mumbled as I trudged down the unfamiliar streets toward the desired fluff of my bed. My eyes were half closed when I smelled such a pleasant scent. It wafted from my left, the calming vanilla of the air urging my eyes to find its source. "Ice cream?"

     It was quiet, but I could hear some voices and chuckles of soft happiness from inside. It seemed like such a pleasant and calm place... and there was ice cream. I had no reason not to walk inside.

     "Hello, Miss!" a boy behind the counter exclaimed. He held up a mini little chalkboard menu for me to read with an unfaltering smile genuinely gazing right at me as I scanned it.

     "I'll just have a scoop of vanilla in a cup," I decided, feeling a bit guilty about having wasted his time with that lame decision. He didn't seem to mind nonetheless, plopping the menu back on the counter and gathering my treat without complaint.

    The ice cream in my satisfied hands, I searched for a place to sit. It was then that I saw the true reason for my being drawn into the building. Jotaro sat silently in a seat a few feet from me. His eyes were gently closed, his head resting against the wall beside him. I found a small smile on my face as I slowly walked to his table without a moment of hesitation.

     There was no ice cream in front of him, but he looked just as content with the quality of the place as I was. He was adorable with his gentle features resting without any worry whatsoever.

     "Who sleeps at places like this?" I chuckled under my breath, taking a small bite of my vanilla delight.

     "Who sits at someone else's table?" he suddenly asked, his lips moving only subtly. I nearly spit out the white goodness as I held back my laughter.

     "I think my question's odder," I giggled, sticking my spoon in the scoop as I leaned forward a bit. "Is there trouble at home?"

     He opened a single eye slowly and reluctantly, the light of the blue shining painfully against the bright afternoon sun. "You leave your scent all over me. I come here to wash it off a bit."

     "Every day?" I questioned, arching a brow dramatically as I stuffed my second bite into my drooling mouth. "I'm sorry."

     He gazed out the window silently then, probably signaling for me to leave him alone, but... I just couldn't seem to convince myself to leave. Perhaps I liked his small presence that wished to go unnoticed. It was quiet and pleasant. Calming.

     “It might hurt your pride to hear this, but you looked really cute just a moment ago,” I admitted, leaning my cheek against the palm of my hand as I plopped another bite into my mouth. He didn’t seem to mind my words; he didn’t seem to like them either. He simply stared out the window, his position nearly identical to my own. I swiped my arm from under my chin with a little huff of a laugh. “Sensei knows about it. Us, me, everything. He knows the story the lady told me too.”

     “The story?” he questioned without much interest. He was probably tired. He’d been sleeping only a second ago before I sat down and disturbed him. I felt guilty, sure, but I didn’t like him, so I didn’t really care that much.

     “I’ll tell you some other time. I’m tired of talking about my problems,” I grumbled, letting my head slowly fall to the hard, cold surface of the table. “I found out how to fix everything. It’s gross, but, apparently, it works. Ah, but he said I’m not strong enough. He also said I was one of the strongest A’s of my age, but I’m not strong enough.” I felt the anger that had been so quickly eased from the scent of this building return without warning. I wanted to scream, to pound my fist on anything that would break.

     “Wanna fight?” he suddenly asked, tilting his head curiously as I strained my eyes to meet his in confusion.

     “You never want to fight,” I scoffed, sitting up with a hopeful interest pulling my eager words from my lips without my consent. “You want to fight?” I felt so restless, trembling in a desperate attempt to keep my body from standing and jumping around. My heart was beating so quickly. He was going to fight me? I’d only ever fought him once, and I’d lost miserably, but it was the most fun I’d ever had. He was such a strong opponent, and I loved the thrill of fighting with every ounce of strength I could muster. I’d asked him so many times to fight me again, but he wouldn’t even bother looking my way. “Jotaro,” I panted, clasping his probably regretful hands in my own as much as I could. His were much bigger than mine, but it all conveyed the same message nonetheless. “I’m begging you… please fight me.”

     He nodded calmly, pointing toward the window quite casually. “Right outside?”

     I puffed my lips, looking around guiltily at the little shop I’d wandered into. “No,” I sighed, taking a big scoop of my melting dessert and shoving it into my mouth hastily. “I don’t want to bother them.” My mouth continuing to be filled, I motioned with my head toward the back of the shop. “Let’s do it in the alleyway.”

     The air was cool against my sore cheeks, yet I knew my grin wasn’t going anywhere for a while. He followed me silently toward the back of the shop, his footsteps tapping at half the speed of my racing heart. Truthfully, Jotaro was the only person I’d ever wanted to fight. It was fun beating up my challengers with ease, but… sometimes I liked to work harder and feel that overwhelming satisfaction when I did beat the enemy. It was such a boring feeling to defeat someone who couldn’t fight. If I could beat Jotaro… no, even if I could land a punch on him… I would feel overjoyed to no end.

     “When we first fought,” I began, tilting my head toward the sky to feel the pleasant light against my skin, “did you struggle at all?”

     He thought for a moment. He probably barely recalled the few minutes. After all, back then, I wasn't a notable person in his life. I was an extra that he would only see the basic shapes and colors of; I wasn’t a person.

     “You cut my cheek,” he finally responded, pointing to his cheek as though it was still there to see.

     “Really?” I chuckled, thinking back on the time myself and remembering no such thing. “Did I? That's good."

(1136 words) Thank you for reading! There's more, so continue on to the next chapter! ˚₊✩‧₊(⌯͒o̶̶̷̤ ꀾ o̴̶̷̤⌯͒)* ✩‧₊˚