Chapter 29

Truth. Otter.

     Jotaro didn't seem interested. Rather, he looked blatantly away from me as I examined my card. I snorted at how obvious his acting was. If he truly disliked me so much, he wouldn't be standing so close. Not that we were even that close. Only about a foot away was where he stood. It was just a bit too far. Just a little closer, and-

     "Draw your card," he suddenly demanded calmly, pointing toward the deck with the otter design. I scowled at him as I reached for it. He was already pulling shit, and we'd just gotten started.

     I huffed, wiggling my head loosely as I positioned my eyes to read the card. "Answer this question with complete honesty," I read aloud. I looked down at my clothes knowingly then.

     They were sneaky.

     I cleared my throat, pushing back some of my hair as I continued, "What is your record for days you've gone without showering?" My brow arched on its own, my lips curving as a small chuckle left them without my consent. "How should I know?"

     "Is it that difficult to count?" he asked, raising his own brows at my comment. I grinned, shaking my head in a goofy embarrassment.

     "No... I've... probably just a day. Unless like... when I was a baby, but I dont know. I can't stand being dirty." I hated to admit it, though it was such a simple and common thing. An Alpha that couldn't stand getting her hands dirty? Fucking stuck up, right?

     He didnt react, of course. He was good at playing who he used to be. He had experience, though... playing the asshole and all. Plenty of it.

     I quickly shoved the card back down onto the table. "Draw," I demanded in a growing embarrassment. The silent yet unbearably noisy room had fallen much too quiet for my liking.

     He drew. He then picked up another truth card. A dove design decorated the back of it.

     It was pretty.

     "Who was your first love?" He raised a brow at the question before he had even finished reading it aloud. I snickered, knowing the answer would have to be me or the lie would be caught immediately.

     My lips parted in a sudden realization. "Were we ever told what would happen if we lie or like... fail a dare... or something?" I asked, pointing toward the roof where the speaker resided. He shook his head, gazing at my hand seemingly mindlessly.

     But his mouth opened suddenly, and his voice, so low and deep amid the screeches surrounding me, gently tapped at my ear. "My first love was you."

     I raised a brow, showing a clear disgust with each word I spat. I thought I might gag; I was so into the act. "Me? Is that even possible? That's gross." I frowned, leaning away from him convincingly.

     "You were the first person I've ever come to admire and respect. Wouldn't that make you something like a first love?" he asked... seemingly out of genuine curiosity. His words, his expression, his gentle voice... why did it all seem so genuine?

     I frowned even deeper, practically dying as I struggled to maintain my composure and hold in the redness of my revealing cheeks. "Of course not," I grumbled. "Your first love is like..." I shaped some floating cubes with my hands, attempting quite uselessly to form some kind of sentence. "A girl... or boy..."

     "A girl."

     I glanced up at him for only an instant before returning to my constructive hand gestures. "A girl who... makes your heart flutter or your stomach flip inside out." I smiled in approval at the words my hands had helped me form. I looked up at him proudly. "That kind of thing."

     "Oh..." he mumbled, thinking about it once more for a long, annoying moment. "If not you, then... no one else."

     I grumbled in annoyance, snatching the card from his hand and slamming it on top of my previous one. "Why did you get such a question anyway?"

     I drew for the second time. It was a dare. Owl.

     "Something related to intelligence..." I mumbled, placing the card in my pile gently. "Like an owl with a monocle." I made a circle with my index finger and thumb, holding it over my eye with a confident grin. "I'm pretty smart."

     "24," I read in utter confusion. "24...?"

     Suddenly, there was a man standing beside me... one of the men from earlier. He silently placed down a card and left without a word. There were four numbers: 2, 2, 6, and 8.

     That was all.

     "Ah..." Jotaro suddenly began in realization. "The game."

     I looked from him to the card in a sudden annoyance. "Why is everything a game?"

     "You have to create 24 using only these numbers," he explained, ignoring my complaint. He tapped the card with the pad of his finger confidently. "You've never played this before?"

     I blinked, staring at the card for a moment more. "I don't think so."

     He snickered as I admitted the seemingly ridiculous fact. I snatched the card from the table and looked at the numbers with a harsh, piercing glare. I mumbled and grumbled in annoyance as each second ticked by.

     "...I can do anything to them?" I asked reluctantly after a few blank moments. My voice was hardly above a bee's annoying buzz, but he heard it nonetheless. He nodded silently.

     "That's so easy," I scoffed, dropping the card back down without a drop of hesitation. "Subtract 2 from eight, add that to six, then multiply that by 2." Nothing happened. "Is that...it?"

     Jotaro drew his second card before an answer could be reached.

     "I guess so..."

(953 words) Thank you for reading! There's more, so continue on to the next chapter! ~(˘▾˘~)