7

AN- just to let all you lovely people know, when something is typed like this, it's only in whoever's perspectives mind. "If it's typed like this, with quotation marks", it means both of them can hear it.

*Inessa*

"So there's a link? Between.." Tony's finger flicks between James and I, confusion written all over everyone's faces.

"I guess so." I sigh, sliding down the wall, wrapping my arms around me, staring at everyone's feet. This was all crazy. Absolutely insane. I didn't have super powers, or whatever you call them. I was normal. "I wish I was normal." James's boots take a step closer, pointing in my direction. I lean my chin up, looking at him. For once his face was soft. Eyes holding small comfort in my- Scratch that. Our time of chaos. To be calm or chaotic. That was the question.

"Just keep calm." His lips remained still, but his words echoed in my brain. I nod, feeling only a sliver of relief that I wasn't completely alone.

"Could this be a thing with, ya know.." Bruce asks, taking off his glasses. I tsk, rolling my eyes.

"Well, 'ya know' is starting to sound like a bad cancer." I hate that everyone is calling it you know. I knew we didn't know what it was, but they made it sound worse than what is was. Was it worse than what it is?

"Your hands seem better." Nat smiles, offering a quick moment of positivity. I look down at my hands, the black had moved its way off the majority of my hands and wrists, back down to barely my finger tips. "It's doesn't hurt right?" She leans down, placing her hand on my shoulder.

"No." It felt like nothing was there. "I felt tingling in them earlier, but I didn't know if it was, 'ya know'," I look at Bruce and Tony, hoping my change in tone at those words made my point clear. "But then when I calmed down it went away."

"That's good." She smiles again.

"Why don't the rest of you guys leave, and go rest. If you could stay James." Bruce walks over to the cart full of needles and syringes, which sat close to a chair you'd see at the dentist.

"I hate needles." I hear James's voice again, this time it sounds shaky. I look over to him, and what once looked like composer, now looked like uncomfortable nervousness.

"I'll stay, you guys go." I look at Tony and Nat, sending them a small smile to sell my nonexistent calmness.

"You sure?" Tony questions. I nod, turning away from Nat, taking a seat on the cot.

"Yeah, I'm good. I just have a few more questions. Nothing to be worried about." I smile again. Please leave.

"If you need us, just page." Nat pats my arm, turning to leave. Tony follows slowly, peeking over his shoulder at me.

"Alright James." Bruce pats the seat, beckoning for him to sit.

-

*James*

I hate needles. Labs, hospital chairs, tubes and wires, they all remind me of Hydra. Being plucked and prodded with machines, lab coats all around me, it made me feel panic.

"Just breathe." I look over at Inessa, who's voice called to me. She smiles, stepping closer to the seat, standing the opposite side of Bruce.

"Okay. I just want to take a few blood samples, and if your comfortable, I want to get a MRA and a PET SCAN." He grabs a rubber band, wrapping and tying it around my arm. Anxiety builds, making my eyes go watery, and I can't help my death grip the arm rests.

"I'm right here." I look at her again, searching her face for no reason. She softly smiles, and she lays her hand on my shoulder. "I hate needles. I had to get blood work done fairly often as a kid," she slightly giggles. "It never gets easier, but trust me, Bruce knows what he's doing."

"I mean, I'm not a doctor," Bruce chuckles to himself, and we both turn to look at him. When he looks back at us, his smiles drops and he clears his throat. "But I do know what I'm doing." Great.

"One time, when Tony and I were kids," My eyes drift back to hers as she speaks. "We went to Chicago, and went to see the big bean, and I was so excited." She giggles, never taking her eyes from mine. Her eyes held warmth, the sun shines through the windows, casting a light that makes them look like a mix of honey and whiskey. Calm. "You ever been there?" I shake my head. "Well, it's a big metal bean, and people take pictures, stare at their reflection in it. It's fun." She smiles, other hand resting on my arm. Her hands were small, but I could feel the heat from them seep under my sleeve. "Anyways, when T and I get to the front of the line, we walk up to take a picture, and out of the blue,"

"All done." Bruce peels off his gloves, tossing them in a small bin. I look between them, amazed how quickly that went by. I didn't feel a thing. "I'll take scans of both of you tomorrow, but you guys need some rest." He scoots the cart away from us, bringing the tubes filled with my blood closer to his little work station. I look over at her, watching as she grabs her jacket, pulling it over her arms.

"Thank you." I whisper not into the air, but through the string tied between us. Her face softens when she looks at me, smiling before nodding her head.

-

*Inessa*

Tossing and turning. I couldn't sleep. I reach over and flick my lamp on, an orange glow fills the room, and I kick my feet over the edge of the bed. Before I could stand, I hear knock at the door. Who could this be? Shuffling my way over, I kick the back of my couch, and I lean over it. Fuck. I hiss, but carry myself to the door. When I open it, Steve's face is the only thing I see.

"Steve?" I open my door a little wider. "What are you doing? It's like-"

"It's 2 in the morning. Yes I know." He chuckles. "I just came by to check on you." Where my hands were placed around the door and it's frame, his eyes flick to my hands. I drop them behind me, biting the inside of my cheek.

"Everything's good." I quickly answer. His face drops a little, shoulders going slack. "But thank you. For checking on me." I offer a small smile, to which he only nods to.

"Yeah, no problem." His hands rub the back of his neck, and he takes a step back. "I'll let you get some sleep. Night, Ness."

"Good night, Steve." I slowly close the door, sighing. I'm sorry Steve. I walk my way to my room, flipping off the back of my couch as I pass by. Crawling my way into bed, I shut my eyes, slowing my breathing to calm my mind and pray that I fall asleep before the sun shows again.