38

*Inessa*

"Hey Buck," Sam saunters over to us at the bar, flashing me a smile and a wave.

"Hi Sammy." I wink. Whenever I was drunk, or just tipsy, my confidence and lack of self reserve always went flying out the window, leaving me bold and uncensored.

"Oh." Sam hands crash against his chest, face pinching in pretend pain. "The wink of an angel." He bends down, placing his hands on his knees. I glance at James, who shakes his head disappointingly. "Why did you fall from heaven? Was it for me to give in to temptation?" He looks up, a goofy grin on his face. I let out a laugh, hopping off my seat.

"Oh Sweetheart," I lift his head higher with my fingers gently placed under his chin. "My halo is propped on my horns." His eyes grew in size, and he stands to full height. "Don't forget that." I pat his cheek, turning to leave, holding my head high. Sorry Sam.

I search for Tony with slightly blurry eyes, people turning towards me as I pass, letting whispers fly through the air. I knew people talked. They talked when I left, wondering why I would leave my billionaire brother in the dust. Talked when I went missing, assuming I eloped somewhere with a random man I met, another way of letting the Stark name down. Talked when I came crawling back, shocked when word got around that I was held hostage, and how they should pity my brother for suffering through that. For some people I was a tragedy, bad luck and disappointment followed wherever I went, causing people around to perish within the depths of my despair. Others thought I was a treasure, maybe even the hero in my brothers story, pushing him to do good, maintaining a respectable name and manner for the Stark's, keeping the roots of my family strong and pure. It true in a few aspects, but they didn't know how wrong they really were.

"Ness!" I lift my chin the left, seeing Tony wave me over. People were coming up to congratulate the newly and happily engaged couple, shaking their hands, smiling through false joy. Some people were truly happy, others just wanted to stay on Tony's good side. Fair. Tony smiles at a young man, who turns and looks at me as I walk closer. He was blond, with piercing green eyes and a slender face matching his lean frame. "Ness, this is-"

"Alexander." He holds his hand out, keeping his gaze on me. "Alexander Grand."

"Inessa Stark." I politely smile, lifting my hand into his. When are hands touch a wave of uneasy rushes to my head and chest, causing me to snap my hand back. Not safe.

"Sorry. Cold hands." Alexander chuckles, tucking his hands back in his pockets.

"Ness, Alex here is here for work, I thought you'd like to get to know each other." Tony smiles at Alex, to which he returns.

"What kind of work?" I ask him, trying to keep my voice steady.

"I'll be working with Dr. Banner on your condition." He grins. "Which, is an absolute honor to be in the presence of not only one, but two Stark's." Tony pats his shoulder, laughing at his response. I let out another polite smile, wanting to run away quickly. He didn't look off, but what I felt when our hands touched was nothing but pure panic, making my gut scream at me to get away.

"Thank you, Alexander. Your too kind." I smile. "Now if you excuse me, I have some people to catch up with."

"I actually thought," Tony steps to me, wrapping his arm around my shoulders. "That maybe you two could share a dance, maybe even talk about your, uhm, condition." He squeezes my shoulders, grinning awkwardly. No. I hate dancing.

"I would love a dance." Alex smiles, holding his hand out again. Ugh.

"Wonderful. You two have fun, no frisky business," I jam my elbow in Tony's side, making him grunt and cover it up with a laugh. "Come find me later." Tony sends a threatening stare before turning to Alex to smile him farewell. Please don't make me do this."

"Miss. Stark." He leans his hand closer, waiting for me to take it. I was hesitant, but I placed mine in his, a little relieved when the wave of panic didn't return.

-

*James*

"So, I've got to ask," Sam orders a drink, taking a sip before continuing. I have a feeling of where this is going. "What's going on with you and little miss over there?"

"Little Miss?" I look at him confused, but more disappointed that he didn't have a better nickname for her.

"Oh, You know." He takes another sip.

"No." I answer. "No I don't." A part of me loved pissing him off, and an even bigger part of me loved making him feel stupid.

"Come on man." He rolls his eyes. "What's going on between you and Ness?" He asks again. For the love of god. "You guys like, friends... more than friends.." He leans his shoulder into mine, chuckling at that last part. I shove him a little back, getting him off of me.

"Friends." I answer. Friends? Sure. She's a friend.

"Mhm." He hums, turning his attention to those on the floor, dancing and laughing as the festivities continued on. "Wait." He stands straighter, placing his hand on my arm, eyes sharp on something.

"Stop touching me." I grunt, brushing his hand off.

"Oh boy.." His words trail off, occupied with whatever he's staring at so I look in the same direction. I scan my eyes through the crowd, not seeing what he was.

"What?" I look at him like he was crazy, but his hand falls back on my arm.

"Ness is dancing." My head snaps back in that direction, now finally seeing her sway around with a man. Who was this guy? "Oh no..." Sam chuckles softly.

"What do you mean, oh no?" His face turns to mine, but I can't stop watching her. The man's hand is placed low on her back pushing her closer to him, holding her hand tight in his other.

"She hates dancing." Sam answers.

They slowly turn, her face now becoming visible.

"She seems fine." Sam swivels in his seat, propping his elbows on the bar. Your wrong, Sam. I've studied Inessa just enough to know when she's not comfortable. Sure, she's smiling, but the smile doesn't curl like it usually does, and her eyes don't match. When she truly was smiling, her eyes would crinkle slightly, along with the bridge of her nose scrunching up when she's smiling wide. She was being cordial, polite. But I saw straight through it. Her eyes flick to mine over the man's shoulder, snapping to mine. She awkwardly grins, when the man leans close to her ear, making her lean slightly away.

"Save me." She whispers.