39

*Inessa*

"You know what's funny?" Alexander clears his throat as he guides us onto the floor, watching his feet.

"What's that, Mr. Grand?" I take a quick glance around the room, seeing all my colleagues occupied by others or by the display of extravagance Tony sat up. Scanning for familiar faces, my body spins and slams into a semi hard chest, making me look up at Alexander.

"I have the sneaking suspicion," He takes my other hand placing it on his shoulder, snaking his down the my waist. Easy there pal. "That your more pleasant than the others said you were."

"What's that supposed to mean?" I cock my brow up, curious of two reasons. First, I'm a fucking joy. So no idea why people would say anything. And secondly-

"I've read a lot about the Avengers, and-"

"I'm am no Avenger." His eyes flash quickly with my strong statement, but it's true. In no way was I a hero. Not that I wanted to be, or had the ability to be. It was a guilt ridden decision I made, but I made it.

"Then what are you?" He tilts his head, a sly smile showing, green eyes tearing into mine. I smile back, refusing to answer. I didn't know him. I didn't trust him.

In a last resort, I looked over his shoulder seeing Sam talking to someone at the bar. Sam. But the wide strong frame of someone next to him pulled my eyes more. James. He looked calm, relaxed even talking with Sam, cracking a slight smirk. Don't bother. I sigh and look back at Alex, catching him staring me down.

"You didn't answer my question, Inessa." I don't know what did it, his tone or tightened grip, but it didn't seem right. Keep smiling.

"I didn't know that this was an interview." I let out a nervous laugh. Save me.

"Don't be stubborn." The grip he had on my hand tightened, threatening almost.

"Mr. Grand, I don't think you want my answer." I glance back at the bar, seeing both James and Sam gone. Fuck.

"But I do. Not only are you a skilled woman, but also a Stark." Immediately I knew what he was going to say. "Your brother, saving the world, creating a safer world." He opened his mouth to continue, giving me a chance to speak.

"I'm aware of the work my brother does, and the good it does." Everyone has always compared Tony and I. We were very different, which brought a hefty amount of questions. But at the end of the day, it didn't matter. "But I'm confused on how my name would have anything to do with-"

"Wouldn't that mean you'd amount to something? Like an Avenger?" His eyes scan mine for a moment, trapping me in my thoughts. What? I blink, stopping my feet. Amount to something?

"Excuse me." A voice behind Alex made him turn around, taking a small step away from me. "Sam Wilson." Sam sticks his hand out, smiling brightly at him.

"The falcon." Alex chuckles, shaking Sam's hand. "Alexander Grand. Heard much about you." Sam laughs shaking his head pretending to be humble.

"Thanks." Sam smiles. "I actually need to give a message to Ness here, if you wouldn't mind." I may have been seeing things, but I saw Alex's jaw tick with annoyance.

"Of course." He smiles. Sam smiles back, slamming his hand on his shoulder.

"Thanks." Alex takes a stride to the side, letting Sam step in front of me. "Ness." His voice is low, but loud enough to hear over the noise and voices.

"I'm good." I answer.

"Look at me." I thought I was already looking at him, but instead I've been staring a hole into the back of Alex's head. "Go take a walk."

"I said I'm fine." I look up at Sam, reassuring him and myself. "I'm fine. He's just an ass." I smile, lightening the mood.

"Alright then." He nods. "Can I have the next dance then?" He smirks. I slap his chest and walk away, leaving a lighter feeling on my shoulders. I don't trust many, and when I do it's barely any trust at all. But I knew I had friends that had my back.

I scurry my way through the crowd, weaving in between people dancing, ignoring all the laughs and cheers from everyone else having a good time, finding my way back up at the bar.

"What'll be?" The tender asks, sliding others their drinks.

"Something strong." I answer, turning my head to look over my shoulder. I could see Bruce being introduced by my brother to Alex, along with Sam there. Great. I hear a glass slide across the wooden bar, and without looking I slam my head back drowning the drink. Scotch. I was never one to drink gold liquor, always the clear stuff, but now wasn't the time to complain. "Another." I sighed as I sat the glass down.

"You got it." The bartender sauntered off, but at the same time a body sits in the stool next to me.

"It's not even 10 and your already red in the face." Steve chuckles.

"Steve." I look over at him, eyeing his suit and tie. "Blue is your color." I smile, easing the building feelings in my chest. He nods as he sits next to me, leaning his elbows on the bar.

"How's Grand?" He waves two fingers at the tender. Bad. He's bad.

"Definitely a talker." I trace the edge of my drink, making rounds along the glass. The personal questions, and the intense curiosity of Alexander made my skin crawl. "He asked why I'm not an Avenger." Steve's lips pause mid sip, bringing his drink down quick.

"Did you answer?" No.

"No." He hummed to my response.

My name is stained. Permanently stained in red because of my past. A past I had no control over.

"I don't get a good feeling from him." I whisper. Steve's eyes drift over to mine, not turning his head.

"What do you feel?" He asks in a hushed voice. I didn't want to express my concerns early. And besides, he was here to help. Right?

-
*AN*

Hay. Hi.
Creativity is back.
Though, my fingys hurt from typing.
SO I HOPE YOUR HUNGRY.
Hehe...