Chapter 15

"Men, we need to pick up the pace. We have an order to fulfill, and we have absolutely no room for errors. There is an inspection scheduled in two days."

A tall, thin man stood atop a suspended metal catwalk speaking down to a large group of greasy-looking men. The man wore an identification badge that read: "Ren Doyle, Chief Engineer". Ren was about to continue speaking when a yell suddenly echoed throughout the cavernous building where they all worked.

"Sir! Sir!" A young man came running into the area below. Pushing his way through the crowd of men, he continued, "Sir, a military transport has just arrived. It's General Richter, Sir!"

"General Richter?! He wasn't scheduled to be here for the inspection for two more days! Back to work, men!" Ren ordered before quickly making his way down the catwalk steps and out past the young messenger.

Upon arriving outside, Ren was met by four soldiers and a tall, stern-looking man dressed in a black suit. Ren walked up to the man in black and put out his hand to shake.

"General Richter, Sir," Ren greeted. "It is a great..."

"Come, come, Ren, dispense with these formalities, and let's get down to business. How are things going?" Richter said with an air of disdain.

"Quite well, Sir. We have two nearly completed. They should be ready in a few days. The other two are about fifty percent complete," Ren reported.

"Hmmm...not good enough. Ren, I will have you promoted to director of operations if you can have the two ready in two days and the others ready by the end of the month," Richter proposed.

"That only gives us a little over three weeks, Sir, but I will try my best," Ren replied.

"Good. I will return in two days for the first two. Do not disappoint me," Richter cautioned and then turned to leave.

"Sir, before you leave...if I may say one thing," Ren said with some reluctance.

"What is it, Ren?" Richter replied as he turned back around.

"It's the men, Sir. They are underpaid and overworked. Perhaps if we..." Ren began to suggest.

"Ren, there is nothing to be done concerning the situation. But do not worry...their sacrifice is not in vain. They suffer for a good cause." Richter turned and walked away.