Chapter 27

Hamilton made his way through the throng of people toward the presentation platform. He wondered to himself in amazement at the sheer number of people who had come to Torenada City for the festival and ceremony commemorating Titan Corporation's new myrrh gathering services. Hamilton finally arrived at the platform and ascended the steps. At the podium stood an older man flipping through some note cards. Hamilton walked over to the man.

"Minister Olmos, a pleasure, Sir," Hamilton greeted politely.

"Ah, Hamilton! Good to see you again. Thank you for joining us for this momentous occasion," Minister Olmos replied as he turned to greet Hamilton with a hearty handshake.

"General Richter should be here any minute. He wasn't far behind," Hamilton noted.

"Very good. I'm anxious to get started," Minister Olmos said.

At that moment, Richter and Neil Senna stepped onto the platform.

"Richter! Neil! Finally. Let's get this thing rolling!" Minister Olmos said excitedly.

"Minister Olmos...Hamilton..." Richter greeted.

"Minister...Ham..." Neil greeted with a nod.

Richter motioned for the other three men to stand to the side, and then he approached the podium, raising his hand. At the sight of Richter, a hush fell over the crowd.

"People of Torenada City and our brothers and sisters from all towns, we welcome you today! Today we have come together to mark the beginning of a new era. For nearly two decades now, we have struggled to survive in the aftermath of the meteor. The miasma has taken many of our loved ones, but it has not taken our will to live on. Humanity has journeyed on resolutely, and with the boon of myrrh, we have not only survived, but flourished. Nevertheless, the world we live in remains a perilous one. The monsters have flourished as well. And we have risked much every year as we have ventured out in our crystal caravans to protect all we hold dear. Well, that risk will no longer be the burden of all to bear. Titan Corporation in partnership with the Torenada City military will now be solely responsible for myrrh collection and distribution. Elite teams of soldiers and scientists will be working together to gather myrrh and ensure that it is delivered to every town throughout the land. Towns will be required to pay a modest fee for these services, which will be...starting today...compulsory. The increased number of monster attacks and lost caravans has made these services essential for our survival," Richter stated fervently.

Richter stepped back from the podium and looked over at Minister Olmos who then approached the podium.

"Let me add my own welcome to you all today. I have served as Minister of our lands for many years now. During that time, I have always sought the best for humanity. I have grown weary of watching friends and family venture out into the wild, never to return. I have vowed to do everything in my power to end such tragedy. This, my friends, is the first step. A small price to pay for our continued safety. And I continue to pledge to you my unending search to discover a way to destroy the miasma and monsters for good. As for logistics...teams are currently preparing to visit each town to provide the myrrh needed for renewal of their crystal chalices. Please do not send out any more caravans, and if you know of caravans out in the wild, send word and bid them return home quickly and safely. If our teams come upon any caravans, we will notify them of the new services and tell them to return home. We will not be answering any questions today. The teams will be able to provide you with specific information regarding the services when they visit your towns. Again, we thank you all for coming, and we wish you all blessings of prosperity and safety in the years to come. Please enjoy today's festivities! Now, I bid you a fond farewell!" Minister Olmos shared before turning and walking back to where his three friends stood.

The people in the crowd clapped for a few moments, and then they began to disperse and discuss what they had heard.

"Well at least they didn't create an uproar," Minister Olmos noted with a sigh of relief.

"I'm sure they see the benefit of the services, Minister," Hamilton said.

"Perhaps," Richter commented.