Chapter 22

"Hamilton's real name is John. He was once a dragoon like me...the companion I told you about," Mark said as he pointed to the pendant around Curt's neck. "And...he is also my older brother."

"Your brother?" Curt said with some surprise.

Curt silently reflected on Hamilton's behavior during Mark's rescue, and he began to realize why Hamilton seemed so apathetic about Mark escaping. A few moments later, he was roused from his musings by the sight of the myrrh tree several hundred yards ahead.

"Seems a bit odd that we haven't seen anyone chasing us," Paul noted.

"I think you may have spoken too soon, Paul. Look!" Autumn exclaimed as she pointed back toward Sumira.

The four friends had been traveling for nearly eight hours, and dawn was breaking. Off in the far distance to the south behind them, they could discern several shapes that appeared to be moving rapidly.

"Sumiran soldiers...on chocobos no doubt, judging by their speed," Mark observed. "We'll have to choose between gathering myrrh and escaping."

"We're too close not to stop, Mark," Curt replied.

Curt sent the nu into a gallop and then quickly brought the wagon to a halt near the myrrh tree. Suddenly, Curt got a nauseating feeling in his stomach as he looked to the north. A fair distance away, he could see three men walking slowly toward them. Paul quickly jumped from the wagon and began the myrrh gathering process. Curt saw one of the men from the north point toward the myrrh tree, and then all at once, the men began to run toward the tree. Curt could hear them yelling angrily. Mark jumped down from the wagon, armed himself, and stood between the men and Paul. Just as the men reached the tree, Paul completed the myrrh gathering process.

"You all are not cleared to gather myrrh from this tree. You need to leave this area immediately," one of the men ordered.

"Sir, look!" another man exclaimed as he pointed to the south. "Soldiers approaching!"

Curt looked back toward Sumira and saw five soldiers on chocobos riding toward them, now only about 200 yards away. He realized it was too late to even try to escape. They were trapped. Paul and Mark moved back toward the wagon as the Sumiran soldiers quickly closed the distance. The Sumiran soldiers brought their chocobos to a halt a few yards away, and one of the soldiers dismounted. As the soldier approached the wagon, he removed his helmet.

"Chase!" Autumn gasped.

"Autumn, I do not know why you travel with this crew of vagabonds, but I will give you one chance to leave their company. Do you accept?" Chase offered.

"Chase...I'm sorry, but I am a member of this crystal caravan," Autumn replied.

"Why are you here?" Curt inquired.

"That's certainly a silly question. I believe you have something that belongs to us," Chase retorted.

"You would do well to return to Sumira while you have the chance," Mark suggested.

"Strong words, my friend. How can you resist eight soldiers?" Chase challenged.

"There may be eight of you, but we'll resist as many as we can!" Curt said as he drew his sword.

The remaining Sumiran soldiers quickly dismounted and drew their weapons. The three men from the north also drew their weapons.

"Have it your way then," Chase said as he took a few steps back.

There was a moment's pause. Suddenly, the ground began to tremble, and everyone looked at one another questioningly. The rumbling seemed to be coming from a thick grove of trees on their eastern side.

"Curt, what is that?" Autumn asked.

"I'm not sure," Curt replied.

The intensity of the rumbling quickly rose and then stopped abruptly. The soldiers hesitated and then turned their attention back to their prey. They were about to close in when they heard a sickening roar and a tree came crashing down upon one of the soldiers, killing him instantly. Standing atop the fallen tree and soldier was a huge bear-like beast that stood on two legs like a human. The beast, easily over 12 feet tall, let out another ear-piercing roar.

"Gigas!" Chase yelled. "To arms, men!"

The soldiers turned to face the gigas, but it was already too late. The gigas leapt to the next closest soldier and smashed him into the ground with its huge paws. The beast then turned and swiped at another soldier, breaking his neck in the process.

"Curt! Now's our chance!" Mark yelled.

Paul and Mark jumped into the wagon, and Curt immediately sent the nu into a run. One of the northern soldiers tried to jump onto the wagon, but Mark sent him reeling onto the ground with a well-placed javelin throw. Autumn turned back to see Chase and the remaining soldiers defending themselves from the gigas.