XIII

Your exhaustion helped calm your body as it wasn't hard to fall asleep that night. The next morning you were awoken by a knock on your door. At first, you pretended not to hear it, hoping the person would leave. Though the knocks persisted and at that point, you wouldn't be able to go back to sleep. The light seeped through the curtains as you fixed your hair.

You opened the door to a face you'd only seen once, you sighed knowing it most likely had something to do with the executives.

"Hatter's called a meeting." The woman's voice was confident and straightforward, you couldn't tell if she was looking at you through her sunglasses or not.

"Why?" You pressed, yawning quietly.

"Didn't say, he usually doesn't tell us until we get there." Ann moved to the side, allowing room for you to pass through your door.

You walked back into your room and slipped your feet into your shoes before following Ann out. The two of you walked in silence, neither one of you speaking before a question popped into your mind.

"Has four of clubs been collected?" You continued to look forwards as so did Ann.

"No, it hasn't. And if it has, we don't have it." She replied, you ran your tongue around your teeth as last night's encounter with Hatter replayed in your mind. He had said it was a duplicate last night.

Could this be an attempt to keep you motivated to play the games? He did seem rather calm and also didn't seem to mind, but even if he was lying, it didn't exactly matter. All you needed to do was collect the cards and give them to Hatter, not worry about what happens after, or fall for his poorly executed lies.

Ann lead you to the meeting hall, where a few members already sat, some you still didn't know the names of, not that you really cared to learn them.

You took a seat near the end of the table, not exactly intrigued with what was taking place. Hatter sat at the head of the table, Aguni off to the side. You looked at Aguni, whose eyes locked with yours before your eyes scanned around at the other players.

A man in glasses and the girl with choppy layers both sat near the front of the table. Ann stood with her arms crossed over her chest after she had closed the door behind you. Hatter relaxed back in his chair, however, his face was tense and cold. Whatever he had to say most likely wasn't very good.
A man with a long katana and a face full of tattoos stood against the wall, his gaze directed straight forward.

The door opened again, as you looked towards the door your eyes locked with those of Chishiya. You held a monotone expression on your face as you looked back over in Hatter's direction, hoping he'd start this meeting soon.

Chishiya took the seat directly across from you, his hands stuffed into his pockets as he looked at you. His eyes only stayed there for a few moments before Hatter began to speak.

"I've decided on a new rule for the beach." You rested your head against the back of your chair as you looked up towards the ceiling, your ears still listening to what he had to say.

Silence filled the room which Hatter took as his sign to continue speaking. "Death to all traitors."

You raised your eyebrows at his words, 'death to all traitors'? Would that be anyone who was presented as a threat to the beach? Or maybe members who didn't comply to its rules? You waited for Hatter to elaborate, tilting your head in his direction.

"Anyone who doesn't give up their cards to the beach or is a threat to us here will die." Now, the awkward quietness was loud and obvious as you pressed your teeth together. Not only could you not leave the beach, but now you'd die trying.