breaking the news

𝖙𝖗𝖎𝖌𝖌𝖊𝖗 𝖜𝖆𝖗𝖓𝖎𝖓𝖌𝖘 𝖑𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖊𝖉 𝖎𝖓 𝖔𝖕𝖊𝖓𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖆𝖚𝖙𝖍𝖔𝖗'𝖘 𝖓𝖔𝖙𝖊

☁️

sapnap's attention is dragged away from the video he is editing and over to his second monitor as a loud ringing sound fills his headphones. he drags the cursor across, minimising spotify to reveal discord and see who it is that's calling.

it's his groupchat with karl and punz, so he joins immediately.

the call opens up to greet sapnap with the image of a very excitable-looking karl. the brunette is grinning, so much so that he looks like he could burst into giggles at any given moment. without even so much as a greeting, karl says, "where's punz?"

the ravenette smiles at karl's eager seeming attitude, shrugging slightly. "i don't know," he answers, before quickly tacking on, "why? are you alright?"

"yeah, i'm good," karl quickly assures, and sapnap's headphones are met with pinging sounds that are almost definitely the notifications of karl spamming punz's @ in their chat. "i just wanna show you guys something," he says.

"oh, alright," sapnap nods, relieved that it's nothing bad and karl was genuinely just smiling. the ravenette looks back over at his editing for a moment, removing the clip he had just cut and changing the audio to fade out before seeing the lighting on his second monitor change.

he looks over to see punz now also there, in a much darker room than he or karl, meaning the light from his phone reflects on his face and makes him look overly pale. he's smiling sheepishly and says, "sorry, i was taking a shit."

sapnap grimaces, shaking his head in feigned disappointment at his lover, and karl gags playfully, muttering "tmi."

punz laughs at their predictable reactions. "sorry," he apologises again. "is everything okay?"

"yeah," karl nods, sitting up in his chair as though he just remembered why he'd called. "i can't stay on for long, i just wanted to show you both something real quick."

"okay," punz hums, longing out the word a little in suspense.

sapnap and punz wait, both boys simultaneously watching karl on their screen as the brunette fumbles with his phone. he brings the screen up in front of their camera, and through the blur, sapnap can only really make out some coloured bars.

the ravenette leans forward, squinting to try and read it better, and he's glad to know he isn't the only blind one as punz asks, "what does it say?"

karl moves the phone away from the screen with a grin, asking, "sap, could you read it?"

sapnap shakes his heart apologetically, feeling bad for not seeing whatever karl was so excited over.

the brunette playfully rolls his eyes before excitedly announcing, "i'm six months sober! like, today!"

sapnap audibly gasps, a bright smile spreading unapologetically across his features. "no way!" he practically cheers, genuinely excited for his friend. "i'm so proud of you karl!"

"me too!" punz is quick to join in. "that's so great karl, what the fuck man!" he congratulates.

karl giggles, expectedly blushing under the positive attention. "thank you," he smiles sweetly, looking down at his phone with a prideful look, "i just had to tell you guys."