how it happened

𝖙𝖗𝖎𝖌𝖌𝖊𝖗 𝖜𝖆𝖗𝖓𝖎𝖓𝖌𝖘 𝖑𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖊𝖉 𝖎𝖓 𝖔𝖕𝖊𝖓𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖆𝖚𝖙𝖍𝖔𝖗'𝖘 𝖓𝖔𝖙𝖊

☁️

george stops the gentle push of his fingers through sapnap's hair as he hears footsteps coming in from the kitchen.

he glances back, making eye contact with dream across the room.

sapnap is asleep, head just next to george's lap on the couch, and he has been for almost an hour now. they'd been watching tv together, and george felt heartless waking him up, so he just didn't.

dream's gaze looks down at sapnap, then back up at george.

he looks nothing short of shattered, his eyes sunken in and juxtaposed to the pinkish colour of his eyebags. he's wearing a big hoodie and sweatpants, and he looks so unmissably sad. he looks between george and sapnap with hurt in his eyes and a barely-there frown on his lips.

and again, he says nothing, passing straight through the room.

george can't fucking take it anymore.

he gets up, carefully so he doesn't wake up the sleeping boy, and follows behind dream towards his bedroom.

george sees his bedroom door click shut, and he's only a few steps behind, opening it without knocking and startling the blond boy. he looks back, hand on his heart from the scare, and quite aggressively says, "what the fuck george? what are you doing?"

"i'm mad at you," george states simply, "and i'm going to tell you why, and you're going to listen."

dream rolls his eyes, sitting down on the edge of his bed. "wh-"

"listen, dream!" george interrupts exasperatedly, growing quickly frustrated by his lacking compliance.

the blond huffs, shaking his head but looking expectantly over at george.

"you have been a dick, for years," george starts, watching how dream's expression immediately goes angry. he continues, "and so have i and so has sapnap. we've all said stuff, we all have regrets, but now we finally have a chance at making it better and you're pushing it away!"

dream's gaze drops to the floor.

"what is stopping you, dream? because i see the looks you give us when we're hanging out and i know you want to join us and i really thought that you would start trying after that breakfast, but it's been over a week and you're still pushing us away!"

"it's not the same with me, george," dream argues weakly, his eyes still downcast, sad. "even during everything, you and sapnap have always sided together, you know that!" he says, voice scraping a bit louder, but he quickly pulls it back down again. "i just- i see you two properly getting along, and i- i don't want to get in between that and ruin it all. i've made us all fall apart once and i don't want to see it happen again."

"you didn't make us fall apart dream, we made us fall apart, all of us. sure, your anger might take a lot of the blame, but so does sapnap's anxiety and so does my depression," he says, shrugging. "we all have problems and we've all equally fucked shit up, but i just don't see why you can't let us try again."