Chapter 9

Hanging, poisoning, shooting, stabbing, jumping off buildings, getting into a car crash, electrocution, fire; I've tried them all. None of them works. Itami would constantly regenerate my body, no matter how serious it is. At least, until he got sick of doing it- but it didn't last long.

"Give up already!" He had told me, regenerating my heart for I think the 44th time. I had ignored him and made a deep gash on my arm. I expected the tingly feeling on my arm again, my skin closing up, leaving behind no sign of a wound. Except, it didn't happen.

"That's gonna hurt," Itami had said, floating closer to the scar on my neck (that's how he gets in and out), "You'll be begging to regenerate that anytime soon," I felt the scar rip again, and blood streamed down my neck and dropped down my shoulders. Then he wasn't there anymore, but only for a second.

"Owwww!!" He screamed as he reappeared. The wound on my arm disappeared immediately. That's when I realized that when he is inside of me, it hurts him too. He must have figured it out at that moment as well because he started regenerating everything after that.

The closest I have been to dying would have been poisoning. I went into the forest where I first met Itami, and spent almost a week finding a viper or even a spider; just something with poison. After the 8th day, I had found a Mamushi sleeping near a big rock. I poked around its mouth with my finger until it woke up, hissing at me angrily. I grabbed its head, forced the mouth open, and brought the snake to where my heart was.

"That's not going to work," Itami had said confidently. After hearing that, I let the Mamushi bite me, letting its razor-sharp teeth pierce through my clothes and sink into my skin. I felt the venom take effect immediately, it felt like fire was spreading throughout my body. After a long 10 seconds or so, I brought the snake closer to my mouth this time and dropped its poison into me. As I swallowed the tiny drops of liquid, my throat felt like it was burning, and I went dizzy immediately. It looked as though I could finally escape this world of endless misfortune. But of course, it didn't work, apparently along with regeneration, Itami was resistant to poison as well. What is he? The burning sensation had died off along with the hope in my thoughts, and I was as alive as ever.

"Told you," Itami had said mockingly, not aware of the snake that was flying his way.

For the past month, I have been living in the house, not bothering to move the dead bodies elsewhere. I spent most of my days in Hakuto's room, thinking of ways to finally disappear from the world. Today was no different:

(479 words)

It is said that there were 2 holes left on Itami from the viper for almost a week