Chapter 32

'Wait, there's somebody else in here?' I look around the place again, as if I might suddenly see someone. Do we have to save the person? Is this part of the mission?

"Inumaki," I call out, "I don't know where Fushiguro went, but I heard someone else here," Inumaki gives me a surprised and curious look, and rushes to my side.

"Takana? Tuna tuna?" He asks.

[What?! But you don't know where Fushiguro is?]_Inumaki

I nod slowly.

[We need to save the other guy, too]_Inumaki

"Maybe you can try to find Fushiguro and I'll find the other person?" I suggest, shrugging. I guess both need to be saved now. Inumaki gives me a nod, and I immediately start trying to read Other Guy's mind.

[Don't kill the person. Keep him alive]_Inumaki

I nod. Inumaki gives me a smile and starts running, calling for Fushiguro.

[Fushiguro?!]_Inumaki

[Where human?]_Spirit

[This is how I'll die...?]_???

Ah. Found it. The voice sounded like a female's, relatively young, and of course, f*cking scared. I stand still and close my eyes. It helps me concentrate better. I grab onto Other Guy's mind and try to find out where it's coming from. Like all my other past attempts during training, it's not that clear. She must be quite far away.

"Sh*t," I say to myself, looking around again, trying to catch even the smallest glimpse of Other Guy. I don't see anything. Not even a strand of hair. But I hear something.

"Mm!!"

A muffled scream? I cautiously walk closer to the sound, straining my ears to hear better. The sound gets louder as I approach a corner. I slowly peek my head out to see the other side of the wall.

"Oh f*ck," I grumble a little at the sight laying before me. I think of charging in but abandon the idea as I realize the Spirit might kill her first.

A woman, who looks about 20, is taped to a wall, her mouth clamped shut with staplers. Her wrists are pale, and she looks barely awake. Blood leaks out beneath the tiny metal lines, and the skin around it is turning purple, almost black.

"Krrr!" A Spirit holds a giant hammer and many other tools lay behind him. Wrenches, pliers, axes, saws, staplers, clamps, heck, even a chainsaw. All of them are dirtied with blood. Except for the chainsaw. Guess I'm not late. Then I look at the Spirit more closely, it looks like it is the one we have to kill. While I'm staring, the Spirit brings the hammer down onto her head, making more blood splatter onto the wall behind her. Her eyes widen, but her scream doesn't come out.

"Krrrr!" The Spirit looks like it is enjoying this. F*cking psycho. The Spirit throws the hammer to the side and picks up the chainsaw.

'Uh oh,' Without a second thought, I lunge at the spirit, knocking it down to the ground. I pin its struggling body down by harshly setting my knee onto its neck. Then I take the chainsaw away from it. I hurriedly turn it on and point the razor-sharp edges at the Spirit's face. Of course, it'll cause no damage, but the weapon could scare it. Hopefully. That's when I remember that the other person is still there.

"Oh yeah. Gotta rescue you too," I say. She just gives me another scared look. I force a smile on my face. I guess I'll have to look friendly if I want her trust. As if rescuing her from a life or death situation won't be enough.

Just then, the Spirit lets out an angered cry, "Krr!!" and pushes me off. My back hits the wall behind me, and I choke up a small amount of blood. When I look up again, the Spirit is in front of me; chainsaw in hand.

I sigh, "F*ck,"

(620 words)