Chapter 18

"Yeah?" I answer as I hear protests from Fushiguro.

"You guys are done with the movie, right?" Gojo-sensei asks.

"Yeah,"

"Can you... turn on the news?" He suddenly requests.

"Wait, why?" I'm a little confused. The news? What happened? While I'm just standing with my phone pressed against my ear, Fushiguro picks up the remote control and turns the channel to the 8 o'clock news

"Welcome to the 8 o'clock news," The familiar music flows out from the TV, and a serious-looking man wearing a suit walks into the frame.

"Today's shocking news," The man reports, "Four brutally killed bodies are found in an apartment,"

"Just watch that for a while," Gojo-sensei orders us. Then he hangs up. Blurry pictures are projected on the screen.

"The first," The reporter continues, "Researchers concluded that this female victim has been killed by a knife in the neck. The knife has been found a little away from the body. It seems like there has been a murder," Wait...

"The second and third one is found together, only a little away from the first one. The eyeballs are nowhere to be seen, and the faces are severely damaged," Is that...

"Tuna..." Inumaki whispers next to me. He sounds frightened and shocked.

"The last one was hidden away inside the room, and was found relatively clean," The reporter's expression doesn't change, "The wound at the side is cleaned, and the eyes are closed," The last picture comes from the screen, and it isn't blurred.

"Hakuto..." I whisper quietly and start backing off. But someone pushes me forward from the back. I flinch and turn around, drowning in fear. Who is it? The police? Soldiers?

"Haneki," It's Gojo-sensei, "You have some explaining to do,"

"The CCTV has caught the suspect," I hear, and I freeze.

"For the next few days, the suspect has been going in and out of the house," Then a picture comes up. The quality isn't good, but I could tell it was me. My usual outfit, streaks of white hair, one eye, blue, opened. The police have gotten a pretty good picture of me. They could track me down with this.

[Isn't that...]

[Haneki? What is she doing there?]

"It is guessed that the suspect of the crime is a female, somewhere around 160 cm in height,"

"However," The reporter puts on an even more serious face, "The suspect seems to be having constant suicide attempts. Why, though? Guilt? Regret?"

"Researchers hypothesize that-"

Gojo-sensei turns off the TV, his expression unreadable.

"Okaka...?" Inumaki slowly looks at me. Even Fushiguro looks a bit shocked. I look down. How disappointing could I get?

"Okaka, mentaiko... takana?" Inumaki says uncertainly.

[You didn't do it, I'm sure... right?]

The words don't come out of my mouth, and I'm silent. I just stand there, my mouth blinking open and close.

"It looks like Haneki," Fushiguro comments, looking like he's thinking hard, "But..." He trails off.

[Haneki won't do this. She knows better. I know it]

 When I stay still and quiet, Gojo-sensei carefully pushes me down onto the chair. A million questions surround my head, and I get more confused with every passing second. What if I did kill them? What if the dream was real? What if I'm just denying the fact that I'm a murderer? What if I get sent to prison? I won't be able to die there. What if even after the research ends, I don't get to die? What if I'm just locked up? What if-

"Haneki?" Gojo-sensei waves his hand over my face, waking me up from my train of thought. My heart starts beating faster, tiny beads of sweat pool on the side of my face, and my eyes start losing focus. Everything turns blurry, then white, then black.

(601 words)

Not sure if there is such a thing as 8 o'clock news but yeah. and sry about the late update