Chapter One- Together Again

Glimmering snow crunched under Kakashi's sandals. Up ahead, he smelled stews over fires, fresh bread, and dozens of unfamiliar scents. As faint as it was, his heart leapt when he singled out a mix of lavender and honey that matched the ribbon he had kept in his jacket all these weeks. His eyes surveyed the surrounding area, it was rare for him to be sent so far away from the Land of Fire. Not that he was complaining, the Land of Mountain Streams was a quaint place with underappreciated scenery.

The tall pine trees were thickly coated with snow, and streams were a mix of slush-like water and small ice caps on the edge of the shores. His mask kept his face warm, and every exhale came out as a puff of heated air. His cloak, gifted from Meilani's father, was also a nice addition.
Lady Tsunade was sent word from King Meiji that the next step of the plan was to be taken place soon. With Ingyo being cornered by not only the Hidden Leaf but the Sand and even the Hidden Cloud, Meiji sent more supplies and medicines in request of another Team at their new point, near the Northeastern border where they now approached slowly.
It was convenient timing on his end, as Tsunade was collecting intel on all her jonin to figure out which 4 would be suited for her elite Guard Platoon. This round, she decided to observe Genma, Kurenai, and Kakashi a bit closer.
"Nervous?" Kurenai stepped to his left.
"Not one bit." He lied. "You?"
"We're going to be surrounded by strangers, I'm going to be wary at least."

Genma hushed them quietly. "Looks like we got a welcoming party."
3 tall men wearing dark grey robes approached them. Kakashi and Shotoku recognized each other and greeted one another with a head nod.
"Welcome, Leaf Shinobi. The Commander waits for your arrival."
Kurenai's lips pressed into a line as they walked through the camp. Their arrival had caught the attention of most of the settlement. Nearly every head that turned to look at them had long, black hair with varied styles. From completely down, to being braided or in low buns behind their ears.
"Just through here," Shotoku approached the largest tent in the camp and lifted a flap. One by one, each made their way through. Meiji, Yuri, and a few others surrounded a map in the center muttering quietly amongst themselves. When he turned to greet them, he waved off their bows.
"There's no need for that," Meiji approached Kakashi, eyeing the expressionless man. "I see you received your gift."
"Yes, thank you."

"Of course. And these are the comrades Lady Hokage assigned to join you on this mission." He observed Genma and Kurenai with a distinct expression in his brows. Kurenai smiled softly at him when their eyes met for a few seconds.
"What a unique eye color."
Her smile widened at the compliment. "Thank you, my Lord."
Meiji stood aside and motioned everyone to move over for the Leaf Shinobi. Yuri grit her teeth but obeyed nonetheless.
"We were just going over the details of the next phase. I understand they were vague."
"That important, huh?" Genma leaned over observing the maps of an unknown land. Kakashi used the opportunity to side glance at Yuri once more, who seemed to be in a glaring match with Kurenai. Meiji sent a warning look to Yuri before gesturing to the small blue figurines shaped like crescents.
"These each represent a squad of 4. As you see, most are split between searching for the last of Ingyo's forces on the mainland. And here at the camp, as well as the surrounding areas."
"And you haven't encountered any militia from the Hidden Mountain?" Kakashi asked.
"We have a cloaked mirage set up on the western part of the settlement. We will be moving to a secured camp on the island tomorrow, which is why I requested more assistance from the Leaf."
Kurenai observed the clutter of stars resting above where the camp grounds are located. "You want us to assist in escorting the villagers and children to base."

"Precisely. These groups here," he gestured to the North. "have been working to secure a route through the forest to reach our boats. From there, my generals will guide the boats to a small islet where they will be safe during the battle."
Genma chewed on the inside of his cheek. "Wouldn't the enemy detect us?"
"We have men working on the inside. They'll be sure our arrival won't disrupt their patrols."
"I see. Well, is there anything we can do now to prepare for the mission?"
Kakashi began to feel antsy, he could smell Meilani in the distance. Yuri watched Meiji chuckle at Genma's joke and rolled her eyes, approaching him and bowing.
"If there's nothing else sir, I must leave if I'm to reach my meeting in time."
Kakashi leaned down to observe the map of the Kingdom, his ear directed towards them.
"Of course, in the Land of Vegetables. I expect you and the cargo back within 3 days time."
"As you wish, my Lord."
Kakashi heard Meiji's steps move to him and Kurenai. "I can only assume you're wondering where my daughter is."