Chapter Twenty-Five: Mei's Birthday

"You mean it, Meilani-sensei? You'll help me get ready for the Chunin exams?"
Meilani couldn't help but grin at Sakura's bright green eyes growing into jewels.
"Why wouldn't I? I am wondering about how you're going to enter. You still need to be in a team, you know."
The two waved to Kurenai's team, whom Meilani nearly had to double-take when she noticed them. Hinata's hair had grown past her shoulders, Shino and Kiba seem to be having a competition on who can have the greater growth spurt. Kurenai must have noticed, since she gave Mei a brow raise with a slight pout when their eyes met.
Why are they all growing so fast? And why is it... Bothering me?

"Oh, I've got that covered. I'll be teaming up with Ino and Choji, since Shikamaru passed the exams last year."
"Oh, I see. That's exciting."
Sakura giggled, clasping her hands behind her back.
"How is your team coming along?"
Mei pursed her lips. "I think we're all getting the hang of things. I sent a mission request to Lady Tsunade yesterday, so hopefully I can get them out on the field sometime this week."
"Yeah, a mission sounds fun right about now. Lady Tsunade has me working day and night."
The two stopped short, leaning back at the sudden rush of wind brushing past them. Mei grumbled, adjusting her hair whilst glaring at the two grown men competing in a race up Hokage Mountain. The race itself didn't bother her. It was the fact that her freshly pampered hair had been collateral because of it.
"How old are they?" Sakura crossed her arms.

"Wait for me! I'm the referee!" Rock Lee sprinted after Guy and Kakashi, his sprouting legs quickly catching up to them. "Happy birthday Meilani-senseeeiii!!"
Meilani waved in thanks, her cheeks reddening.
"I'm hoping to get at least an A-rank myself. I'm so broke it's not even funny." She sighed.
"I'm sure something will come along."
Mei smiled faintly, her eyes lighting up. "Or I can go ask directly. It's been a while since I've bothered Tsunade."
Sakura giggled. "You and Naruto love to push her buttons. Oh, by the way, Happy birthday Meilani-sensei!"
Mei choked out a gasp from Sakura's snakelike hug.
"Th-thank you." She coughed. "Damn, Sakura. I think you corrected my spine."

Shortly after, Mei invited herself into Tsunade's office through the window.
"I'm bored," she leaned against the frame. "the genin are helping the elderly with their gardens. I'm sure there's some loaded up VIP that needs a bodyguard while they travel to their summer home."
"Hello to you, too Meilani." Tsunade looked up from her paper. "If you were just a little more patient, I would have called in your team for a C-rank mission."
Mei's eyes squinted whilst she calculated the income in her mind. "What about a solo one for me after the C-rank?"
"That's what I've been trying to tell her," Shizune chimed in.
"See?" Mei gestured to Shizune. "Come on, Auntie Tsunade."
Tsunade grumbled, avoiding the puppy-like eyes staring at her from across the desk.
"For my birthday?" She pouted. Mei eyed Tsunade pinching the top of her nose.

"I'll consider it, after the C-rank. Now, take this and round up your brats."
Mei caught the folder with one hand, pulling a smaller paper clipped on the outside and turning it over. Her eyes widened, and she found herself at a loss for words at the generous gift certificate for the most popular spa in Konoha.
"Happy birthday, brat." Tsunade continued her work, stamping and organizing her paperwork even after Meilani hopped out of the window.

*****

Moriko zipped up her traveling bag, being sure to tighten the straps as she hoisted it to her back. Her sister watched from the doorway with a troubled expression.
"I'm sorry, Kumiko." Moriko sighed. "I promise to be back as soon as possible."
"But... What do I do? They're both at the gambling dens again."
Moriko approached with a bitter expression, squeezing her sisters shoulders.
"I left some food hidden for you, and there's more in the freezer you'll have to heat up. Just keep your head low if they come back, okay?"
Kumiko bit down her lip to stop it from trembling.
"It won't be like this forever. As soon as I save up enough money, I'm getting us out of here. Remember, don't let them find our savings."
The little one nodded. "It's exactly where we hid it."
Moriko nodded. "Maybe you can spend the night at a friend's tonight, if we're out that late."
"Can I at least walk with you?"