Chapter Three- The Snake in the Grass

Choji munched on his handful of spicy peanuts as quietly as he could. He's learned plenty throughout the weeks to not disturb Meilani or Ino while they're meditating. Asuma leaned against a tree beside the two. An unlit cigarette rested between his lips simply for the smell of tobacco near his nostrils. Asuma found it best to not smoke during these meditation periods either. For the sake of being free from Mei's envious glares. Even if this one was a shadow clone.
"They've both been meditating for a few hours now." Choji commented. "Do you think they're getting hungry?"

"I'm sure they will be soon, Choji."
As for the true Meilani, she walked as close as she could to the edge of the stream where the coastline would be just visible. Removing her glove, she knelt on the frosted gravel and twigs and brushed off thin discs of ice to be taken by the current. Rubbing her fingers together, Meilani activated her sosen nomen, sliding her fingers into the water, digging them into the ground below.

She saw the past routines of wildlife passing through or replenish themselves with water. She saw dozens of past lives fishing or wandering or even dying before the waters. It was almost overwhelming, seeing almost all at once move simultaneously. But for the sake of her mission, she needed to persist.
For a brief flash, she thought she saw what could've been it. A smooth oval stone briefly slid downstream until it was struck by a fish. After a quick tumble, it was caught between uneven layers of dirt.
Meilani leaned in and plunged her hand deeper underground. Her brows pulled together while she concentrated.
"Just some lost trinkets...." She concluded. "But I could've sworn..."
She used her chakra to walk over the stream, right above where she saw the flash of rainbow. The bottom inch of her cloak becoming damp.
Shikamaru adjusted his weight to his opposite leg, and then back to the original. He continued until he couldn't ignore the sound of rushing water anymore. "Ugh, I'll be right back."

Shotoku nodded and continued to sharpen his spear. "Don't go too far, we're deep in enemy territory."
"I know." Shikamaru eyed a flock of passing birds hastily retreating.
Meilani knelt and placed her hand into the running water once more. A few moments passed before she saw the same glimmer again, and jolted back when she thought she felt the Moonstone under her fingertips. "Holy fuck."
Shotoku stood quickly. "Milady?"
"Sorry," she chuckled. "I just... I swear I felt it, but it wasn't there."
"Perhaps your shadow clone?"

She closed her eyes and telepathically called for her clone. Minutes went by with no response. She pursed her lips, returning back to solid ground. "I can't contact her. I'll try something else."
Meilani sat beside Shotoku and clasped her hands into Tori formation. "Thanks to my contract with my summonings, I can link my eyes to almost any bird and see their surroundings. I call it; the 'Supersonic jutsu: flawless bird's sight!'"

"That sounds.... Misshapen."
Mei opened her eyes to shoot him a glare. "Rude."
They both snorted. "Forgive me, Princess. Please, continue with your... bird's sight jutsu."
She nodded, unable to shake the grin from her lips.
"Just Mei is fine, Shotoku."
Her hands rejoined and her eyes turned milky white as she looked upwards. Her vision shot thousands of feet into the air before temporarily looking down for a flock of birds. It locked onto the same flock Shikamaru noticed earlier and in an instant her vision snapped to one of the birds ahead of its group. From there, Mei's vision traveled another hundred feet before jumping to another bird.
There's not many out this time of year, but there must be... Aha!
She gasped excitedly when her vision transferred to a dove resting on a branch near the second group. Though cloudy, she could spot Asuma standing on a large rock watching her shadow clone swim deeper into the middle of a wide stream.

"I must have been seeing my shadow clone's perspective. I guess I still have a lot of practice to go."
"I'll go find Shikamaru, that way we can make our way to the rest of the group."
Mei nodded, and continued to watch her clone's feet kick herself further down.
"That's pretty deep for a stream..."
The bird landed on Asuma's shoulder, startling him for a moment. Asuma chuckled while he noticed the bird's clouded eyes.
"Looks like there's something underground. Might be a cavern."
The bird chirped, and took flight once more. Meilani released the jutsu, rubbing her eyes with a slight wince. With shut eyes, Mei patted her hand on her sides to search for her backpack.