Chapter Eight- Konoha

Hi lovelies, the song picked out is for after Mei gets home. Enjoy the chapter, and thank you so much for reading. I appreciate every single one of you.💖

On the outskirts far from the Hidden Rain village, two cloaked men convened with one another. Careful to have enough distance from the endless downpour surrounding its borders, away from any chance of their words being overheard. Strong scents of musk and clay filled their nostrils inside the cave. Once inside, Itachi used the tip of his fingers to light a torch.
The flame offered just enough light to see the masked one. He had already sensed his presence before the light made it known.
"What have you learned?" Itachi asked. He felt himself being studied before receiving an answer.
"It seems that your little princess has found her homeland." His rich, silky voice seemed to nearly mock Itachi. Who remained stoic, emotionless to the pet name.

"I do not claim her," He said. "I simply need to know if this village will be a threat to the grand plan."
The masked one chuckled. "Come now, Itachi. You know you do not have to hide anything from me."
Itachi watched the masked man walk a few steps away as he continued to speak.
"I have yet to study the village itself, and their Shinobi. At the moment, they celebrate their newfound 'peace' while the former tyrant remains at large. I'm looking forward to how it all pans out."

"Still, a new alliance could disrupt our next phase." Itachi noted. "The sooner we obtain knowledge of their skills, the better. Whether one of us goes to the island ourselves, or finds this tyrant and squeeze the knowledge out of him."
"With the kamui I can move in and out of the island quite easily. Your job now is to search for the Four-tails. Leave the tyrant to the former King. He's no threat to us." The masked one turned to Itachi, who had yet to take his eyes off of him. "Unless you wish to protect her that desperately."
Itachi's eyes narrowed. "Her safety is no concern of mine. That problem is for the Copy Ninja."
The masked one's visible eye darkened. "He'll likely be her doom."
A tense silence soon followed, filled with only a dripping of water somewhere in the cave.
"Is there a lead on the Four-tails?"
The masked one nodded before waving his hand slowly, his words almost lost to the sound of his jutsu.
"Start in the Village Hidden by Rock. It shouldn't take too long for you to find him."
Itachi watched him disappear into an unknown space, and walked outside to search for his partner.

*****

"Home, at last."
Mei walked ahead at Kakashi's words, pausing her stride at the sight of the gates. She didn't hear nor see Kurenai or the visiting Hidden Memory villagers pass her and continue on. And it seemed as though she couldn't believe what she was staring at. She briefly questioned if she had placed herself under genjutsu. But the crisp winter scent on the pine was too realistic. Kakashi's hand at the small of her back was there. And the gates were half a sprint away.
"We're here," she whispered, mostly to herself. She looked behind them, towards Meiji. "Are you resting here tonight?"
He shook his head. "Better to follow the lead now." He opened his mouth to speak, but closed it after the words didn't form. The couple watched his expression harden, a deep crease between his brow forming.

"Stay in touch, if you can." Mei reached for Kakashi's hand beside her. He was already reaching out. "And if you need help, you can always contact Tsunade. Or me."
His lips quivered up to a half grin before it disappeared.
"I talked with a few merchants before leaving the island, trading will be established within the next few weeks, so you'll have more opportunities to get what caught your eye on the island."
"I still can't believe how much fruit was growing. And you said most of it grows year-round? Does that include the guavas?!"
"Yes," he chuckled. "A benefit to having nearly the same temperature all year long. I have one last favor to ask." Meiji lifted his cloak and pulled out a map. "I, never had the courage to go to the farm after I heard the news of your mother... If you can mark its location for me..."
Mei took the paper, observing it before recognizing the layout. She took the pen he offered and marked the location easily.
"Whenever I got the chance to stop by, I left flowers at the doorstep." She explained quietly. "Her grave is south of the land, just after the forests begin."
Meiji took the map without looking, and offered his hand to Kakashi.