Chapter Seventeen- Diplomacy

(I do not own the picture. Credit belong to Narutopedia)

The Hokage summit was agreed to be held in the Land of Waterfalls, surprisingly by the young Feudal Lord named Shibuki. Meilani knew little about him, and what she did was from her brothers short encounter with him a while back. All that was mentioned was that he seemed to be a bit cowardly, but thanks to Naruto, he had grown somewhat of a spine.
Meilani's lips parted at the incredulous sight of a large tree, surrounded by pools of clear, flowing water that she could've sworn glowed ethereally. Its surrounding pool was connected to a stream in front of it, and the stream led to the large waterfall that guarded the village well. In fact, it was the only way in due to the village being built over the gigantic falls, surrounded by jagged rocks that were impossible to climb along, even with chakra. And the entrance was well hidden through an underground cave, constantly guarded.

"Welcome," an ambassador greeted the Hidden Leaf's group with a polite bow. "Lord Shibuki has been expecting you. Allow me to show your resting quarters. The summit will be held in the morning, so there will be plenty of time to rest. We will also have dinner brought to you shortly."
Meilani, Shizune and Lady Tsunade had been offered a suite-like room. Large enough for them to have a shared tea table and resting quarters divided by sliding doors. Another sectioned area, discretely covered by walls and a room divider, was a private bath.
"I could use a nap right about now," Shizune laid her travel bag in the corner near the tea table. "And some food. I still have the taste of the food pills stuck in my mouth."
Mei fought back a giggle. "Tasty,"

Tsunade sat at the table, a folder in hand. "Even away from the village, it's paperwork never stops needing my attention."
Mei opened a sliding door that lead to a communal garden, internally groaning at the sight of Raido doing the same. A smirk formed over his lips as they met eyes. Her own lips curled, flipping him off as she closed the door.
"A nap sounds good."
Meilani went into her room with no intention to sleep. It was the most privacy she had in the past 4 days of travel, and will be for the next week. Compared to the concerned side glances from Genma or the nuisance of Raido's presence, solitude seemed like the best idea.
I'm starting to sound like him.

Mei frowned as she sat near the window, gazing out into darkening sky. Most of the moon had been covered by dark clouds, a slither of it's crescent barely visible. It left the night sky colored in deep shades of blue, or black. Even some grey where the moonlight managed to seep out. It reminded her of his eyes...
Mei's gaze lowered, her hand brushing the absent space under her collarbone. She acknowledged the pit in her stomach and allowed it to eat at her, only for a minute. After all, she's spent the past few days holding a front. It wouldn't hurt anyone now if she allowed herself to feel. Anyone except her, that is.
Mei didn't feel like reading the book she brought, or eating for that matter. She didn't understand why she brought the love story she was currently reading instead of pausing it and choosing any other genre. She didn't want to toss and turn as she tried to nap. It didn't help that her phantom visions worsened, enough to make her eyes sore even in the dark. Sleeping this past week has been difficult. And she knew it was because she craved the warmth of Kakashi's body, his hands pulling her arms and legs around him and holding her thigh to keep it in place on top of his side. She missed pressing her lips to the pulse of his neck, its steady beat and his scent lulling her into a deep sleep.

It made the silent, empty space she stood in seem larger. A pit of darkness she had alone with just her thoughts.
Mei found a small lamp on a table in the room. She lit a flame and set the lamp to it's lowest setting before retrieving a new purple notebook and pen from her bag. If she wasn't going to sleep, the least she could do was distract herself from shedding more tears.

*****

By the time the Hidden Leaf's group had entered the great meeting room, most of the other Kage and Lord Shibuki had been seated. Meilani eyed the crowd, suddenly finding her throat grow dry. A reminder as to why she preferred the life of a Shinobi, and not a politician.
The room smelled of jasmine tea and damp moss from the open windows. It's faded blue walls and oak pillars gave it a cozy atmosphere. There wasn't much decoration, aside from a couple of portraits of scenery Mei would guess as replications of village locations.