Chapter Twenty-Seven: Summer Festival

Floral buds throughout Konoha and the Land of Fire itself were in full bloom. The entire village readied itself with paper flowers of bright colors and lanterns with long tassels or curled string. Despite the day's heat many were preparing food for the festival, many including smoked or barbequed meats. Others were hacking away at chunks of ice to mix with fruit and cream to fight the heat.
Still, Mei and her team wouldn't be able to have any until they completed their mission. Another C-rank, involving a daimyo and her family traveling to their summer home on the outskirts of the land. Even with the scenic passage being hidden to an inexperienced traveler, there would still be risk of bandits.

"It's. So. Hot." Nobu groaned. Moriko and Sayori agreed, their hair up in ponytails. Mei nodded, her hair in two braids that trailed from the sides of her head to the ends that rested along her chest.
"Keep your eyes peeled," she said, eyeing the trees and high ground above. Meilani could feel her skin sticking to her jonin pants, imagining how more comfortable she would be if she had found a pair of shorts or even a loose skirt with mesh armor under.

Sayori shared her water canteen with Moriko, who passed it on to Nobu and then Meilani.
"We're nearly there," Mei encouraged. "If everything stays on track, we'll make it back to the village before sundown."
They had left before the earliest sun rays peaked over the horizon. While traveling to the Daimyo's home the four had shared their wants for the evenings festival.
"How about we race on the way back? And then sensei buys the winner those giant custard buns."

"Why's it me that's buying?"
"Because you're our sensei." Sayori answered easily, her hands lifting.
"So what happens if I beat all three of you?"
Moriko groaned. "That's why you're supposed to be referee. You have your sprint."
"Wait," Sayori muttered, noticing the sudden flight of birds in the trees up ahead. Mei lifted 2 fingers, and each surrounded all sides of the carriage steadily, keeping their expressions neutral. Mei switched with a shadow clone, finding a thick branch further ahead and at a higher length to scout.

"I don't sense anyone yet," she murmured. Still, she activated her birds sight. Her chakra connecting to a blue jay from the same flock that took off. Her vision expanded and caught most objects despite it's depth, seeing nothing out of the ordinary. At least until she recognized two dark cloaks.
Mei held in a gasp, the bird tunneling down and landing on a thinner branch near the two.

Itachi and Kisame sat against a large tree, consuming onigiri in a shaded space. Itachi's sharingan is clearly activated, as he kept an eye on the road a few dozen meters ahead.
He must sense our presence. This could be bad.
His eyes locked with the blue jay, narrowing at it. Meilani gulped, her stomach felt as heavy as a boulder.
"Never done these two at once, but... First time for everything."
Concentrating, as she commanded the blue jay's body to move forward and land on his knee, Mei also performed her 'whispers of the wind' jutsu, and through her connection she focused on him.
Itachi, it's me...
Itachi's blood-red eyes softened by an inkling. From the corner of his vision he saw that Kisame had noticed the sudden appearance.

"What is it with you and birds?" Kisame scoffed.
Itachi ignored him, offering a finger to the jay. It jumped to his index, staring him in the eyes.
My genin and I are ahead. They're just starting out so please, don't engage us.
Itachi stared at the creature with a blank expression. He stared into its eyes, an unusual glossiness coating them. Of course, Kisame wouldn't take notice to such a detail. He hardly gave any attention to animals unless he was hungry.
"What do you think it wants?" Kisame pressed, finding it's presence irritating.

"Probably food." Itachi removed a few grains of rice from his onigiri and offered it. A twitch of a smile formed on Mei's face, and she felt the jay's conscious break through slightly to accept it. The smile faltered as she noticed his tired expression. His stress lines had deepened, and the skin under his eyes sunk just as deep. His skin was paler in a sickly way.
"Sensei?" An urgent voice called out. "what do you see?"
"Stick to the wagon, Moriko." She ordered. Her hands began to feel clammy, she could feel the birds consciousness become more aware as hers faltered.
I hope you're keeping yourself safe. I.... I have to go now.
Itachi stroked the feathers on top of the jays head, wondering if Meilani could feel it too. Mei felt constriction in her neck, and rushed out her last comments before she could risk losing control.
I know if we see each other again, we'll have to battle as enemies. I want you to know that your secret will always be safe with me. And... And you're a good man, no matter what anyone may think. That includes you.