Chapter Nine- Realization

To Mei's content, things in the Hidden Leaf village had mostly gone back to how they were before. Aside from the lack of her brother's presence, she had gone back to her usual routines and had finally been able to bake something sweet for herself and a few friends.
"What to do, what to do...." She murmured to herself, opening the empty cupboards. Snorting at herself and making her way to her room for more layers. "Can't bake without any ingredients..."
Her eyes lingered on Naruto's door, which has been closed for about 7 months. She felt a tightness in her chest, thinking back to their last conversation just before she returned to the Hidden Leaf. Naruto and Jiraiya were somewhere in the Land of Grass to find seclusion for his taijutsu. Luckily, there wasn't a smell of stale ramen or moldy food coming from his room. Only the scent of lemongrass from the cleaner that Mei had just used to clean her apartment.

"I wonder what he's up to now." She pondered out loud. After wrapping her scarf, she knelt on the floor and took a deep breath. Tuning out the faint noises from other apartments, she placed her hands in the proper formation and began her meditation.
Hey, fish cake. It's been a while so I thought I'd check in. Hope you and Papa Jiraiya are safe.
She swallowed hard before continuing her whispers.
Things are weird without you home. With nothing about Ingyo the past 3 months have been quiet. Aside from the usual missions. What mischief are you causing? Let me know. Love you kid.
She waited, in hopes of a small chance of them being nearer than she thought. But with minutes of silence, it appeared that her message may take some time to travel.
With a sigh, she carried on to the grocery market. Mei shuddered at the cold, despite being used to the chill. Snow crunched below her boots, and though the village forest was a bit away from her apartments the wintery pine still tickled her nose. Children laughed and squealed while snowballs were thrown at each other. Mei counted 40 seconds before she could hear one of them crying. Shaking her head, she carried on.

The market was uneventful, more peaceful than anything. Despite it being late March, the chill of the evening had most villagers preferring to do their shopping in the middle of the day. Leaving the evening empty except for those who get off of work late or forgot something earlier. And lately, Mei has preferred most of her time outside to be as secluded as possible. She noticed it a few days after her return. When her, Kakashi, and a few friends went out to a club for dancing and a few drinks. The entire time her throat felt as though something invisible had wrapped tightly around it, and she flinched every time someone brushed passed her, whether it was an arm or their back. She nearly begged Kakashi to take her home soon after their arrival, and spent the night holding back tears and breathing shallowly in his arms.

Those aren't the only times she's felt that way either. Mei still has nightmares about the night Itsuki almost took advantage of her. Sometimes, when she had an overnight mission, she would stay up the entire night, in fear of waking up screaming and giving away her position. Just last night one had occurred, and Kakashi was quick to hold her until her panic attack settled. Words can't even express her gratitude at Kakashi's patience. Ever since she told him about what happened he has made sure to be more gentle, always making sure to ask if physical contact is okay and where he should stop. Or wait until she makes the first move to touch or kiss. Sex hasn't even been mentioned, and it was the last thing on his mind.

He wasn't bothered at all about it. In fact, he only showed concern for her. Kakashi made sure she had everything she wanted in the moment, and didn't question her sudden change in mood. The actions made the feeling in her throat go away, replacing it with the same mixture of emotions that's been stirring in her chest. Along with a sense of security. Mei fully believed that with Kakashi by her side, nothing could stand in their way. And being granted that sense of security was a comfort.
He's truly a blessing, I'm truly lucky to have someone like him to love-