Chapter 23

"Easy, Diego" Enzo hissed as I stumbled a little

"Easy, Diego" Enzo hissed as I stumbled a little. "I got her" he said steading me. "I got you" he assured me.

"I can go by myself from here" I mumble and everyone quickly shakes their head no.

"No, I'll help you up," Diego insisted, ignoring my protests. "They're all watching, and I can't risk you slipping. Dad would have my head, and I happen to like my head where it is," he added with a wry grin.

"But- shit" I winced quietly but apparently not quiet enough.

"Diego-you had one job-" Elijah stressed as he along with everyone rush to where we're standing.

"I'm fine " I forced out sighing.

"Careful, I got you-" "it's fine I can do it." I insisted but he completely ignored me coming to my aid.

"Diego? I'm fine it's just a few steps-" he cuts me off. "You might slip and fall and  We don't want you getting hurt" he stated an adorable frown making it's way to his face as he concentrated at the task in hand.

His job was to get me to my room safely without so much as a scratch on me.

I think he took it a little too seriously.

"It's a three step stairway." I groaned looking up at him incredulously.

"Don't try and act smart with me missy we aren't taking any chances Doctor's orders." he huffs out determined. A few moments later we arrived to my room he pushed my door open.

I grimaced at the 'happy birthday' banner up on my wall as he helped me to my bed.

The irony of the mismatched "happy birthday" banner intensified as I leaned back against the pillows. Diego, oblivious to the mix-up, grinned, proud of his efforts to bring cheer.  I bit my lip softly.

"Diego, did you seriously get a birthday banner for someone just out of the hospital?" Matteo raised an incredulous eyebrow at Deo who
genuinely looked perplexed. "Well, it was the only one available. I figured it's festive."

"Festive for a birthday, maybe," He muttered, rubbing his  temples. "But for a post-hospital return? Not so much."

Diego's expression shifted from triumphant to sheepish. "I didn't think about that."

"No kidding," I chuckled weakly, shaking my head.

"Happy birthday? Diego what the hell" Enzo groaned mumbling a string of colorful curse words shaking his head.

Ezekiel's eyes narrowed at the misfit "happy birthday" banner, and he couldn't contain a groan. "Diego, seriously? You had one job!"

"Really this one's on you.. it's Diego what did you think would happen?" Matteo snorted.

Enzo shot him a look. "Real comforting, Teo. Maybe next time we should just get a blank banner and write whatever occasion we need on it."

Matteo added with a laugh, "That's not a bad idea. Or you know just don't put Diego in charge of anything else again."