Crowds Cheering and Executioner's Nearing

(Y/N)'s POV

The coming weeks were a rush of exam preparation and Magical Creature cases, I even read about them in lessons, I was pulled out of the case I was reading about by Ron "We're due in Charms," he said, "We'd better go." Said Hermione.

We hurried up the marble staircase toward Professor Flitwick's classroom. "You're late, boys!" said Professor Flitwick reprovingly as Harry opened the classroom door. "Come along, quickly, wands out, we're experimenting with Cheering Charms today, we've already divided into pairs "

Harry and Ron hurried to a desk at the back and opened their bags, I followed. Ron looked behind him. I just sat there awkwardly, Hermione was usually who I paired up with, but she was nowhere to be seen, so Professor Flitwick just allowed us to be a three

"Where's Hermione gone?" Ron asked "No idea, but she was just with us" I said. "That's weird," said Harry, staring at Ron. "Maybe she went to the bathroom or something?" But Hermione didn't turn up all lesson. "She could've done with a Cheering Charm on her too," said Ron.

Hermione wasn't at lunch either. By the time we scrambled through the portrait hole into the common room, we found her. Hermione was sitting at a table, fast asleep, her head resting on an open Arithmancy book. It was honestly adorable to see.

I prodded her awake. "Wh...what?" said Hermione, waking with a start and staring wildly around. "Is it time to go? W...which lesson have we got now?" "Divination, but it's not for another twenty minutes," said Harry. "Hermione, why didn't you come to Charms?" "What? Oh no!" Hermione squeaked. 

"I forgot to go to Charms!" This brought me out of my own head, I realised I had been staring at her and smiling, but really could you blame me? I cleared my throat, "Hermione how did you forget? You were right beside us, the trek through the door of the classroom shouldn't have taken this much out of you."

"I don't believe it!" Hermione wailed. "Was Professor Flitwick angry?" "Nah, I doubt he even noticed, cheering charms were wicked though" she groaned. "Hermione I'd hate to say it, but I think you're spread a bit too thin" I pointed out, gesturing to her mountain of books.

Ron agreed "He's right, I reckon you're cracking up. You're trying to do too much." "No, I'm not!" said Hermione, brushing her hair out of her eyes and staring hopelessly around for her bag. "I just made a mistake, that's all! I'd better go and see Professor Flitwick and say sorry... I'll see you in Divination!", I started to chase after her, and for once I finally caught her.

"Hermione, I'm serious, you don't have to do this much, it's damn near killing you-" "I'm fine!" she insisted, "No you're not, your just too proud to admit it" she frowned at me.

"It's not a bad thing to want to learn everything you can, but please, slow down, there is only so much time in the day, you cant spend it all in a book" she sighed "Everyone knows you're the smartest person at Hogwarts, you don't have to work yourself to death to prove it."

She nodded sadly, I didn't want to leave her on a sad note so I added, "Besides, if your too tired, who's going to do my potions homework?" she smiled and left. "Weird, I didn't know she wore jewellery" I thought, as I saw her prodding a necklace that looked eerily familiar.

Hermione joined us at the foot of the ladder to Professor Trelawney's classroom twenty minutes later, looking extremely harassed "I can't believe I missed Cheering Charms! And I bet they come up in our exams; Professor Flitwick hinted they might!" 

"Did he? Guess I should have paid more attention, sort of dozed off near the end." I teased; she just gave me a look. Together we climbed the ladder into the dim, stifling tower room. "I thought we weren't starting crystal balls until next term," Ron muttered, casting a wary eye around for Professor Trelawney, in case she was lurking nearby.