CHAPTER 9: Sensei Have Mercy

Y/N

My knees ache as I kneel before Master Splinter. Raph is seated in the same position on his knees next to me before his rat father.

"Sensei, as you know Y/N has been at the lair for the past few days," Raph begins, "Her family is in an enemy gang, but she isn't like them. They abuse her horribly. I witnessed it, I know. She helped us escape many times, showed us their mutagen supply, gave us all the information she knows. She even surrendered her weapons to us to show her seriousness and spared both of our lives when her psycho brother ordered for her to kill me. She's trustworthy, Sensei. I really think she can help us defeat this gang. She's the toughest girl I've ever met and one hell of a fighter. She has nowhere to live, though. Is it alright if she moves into the lair for a bit?" Raph explains, giving Master Splinter a nervous smile.

"And where would she sleep?" He asks.

"She can sleep in my room and I'll sleep on the couch like we've been doing." Master Splinter raises an eyebrow.

"You're willing to give up the comfort of your own bed for her?" Raph nods. Master Splinter spends the next few moments staring at me, studying me. I begin to sweat. What if he kicks me out? Where will I go? If I return to the Family, I will be killed for betraying them. If I must live on the streets, they'll find me and kill me. My life is in Master Splinter's hands.

He strokes his droopy white beard, deep in thought. "I will allow it, my son." Raph immediately thanks him, turning to me in a giant grin. "But, we must still be cautious. It sounds like you've made a powerful enemy with her family. Her living here makes us prime targets for attack."

Raph bows his head. "I understand, Sensei." Master Splinter dismisses us and Raph does a little happy dance in celebration as we leave. "Don't tell the guys I did that." He says and I giggle.

"Thank you so much, Raph. You're a real lifesaver!" I exclaim, giving him a peck on the cheek and hug. His cheeks turn bright red and he gives me a warm smile.

Midnight. The Family is delivering a mutagen shipment right now, making it the perfect time to break into my apartment and get my belongings.

Raph escorts me there, pulling open an unlocked window, and helping me inside. I grab a trash bag and begin filling it with a few items of clothing in my bedroom.

"Hey, is this a picture of you when you were little?" Raph asks with a smirk. "You were so cute!" Tiny me is holding fistfuls of birthday cake, my face covered in its frosting, and cake smeared down my (f/c) birthday dress.

Next to it is a photo of five-year-old me, missing my two front teeth and grinning, standing by twelve-year-old Ace. He holds a soccer ball, his closed smile and bright eyes most prominent. Papa has a hand on his shoulder, smiling while wearing a black leather jacket, which perfectly compliments his black hair and overall mob boss type look. Mama rests her head on Papa's shoulder, smiling at the camera. We're in the backyard of my grandparents house in Upstate New York.

I grab the few happy photos I own and gently place them in the bag. I pause upon seeing a photo of a twenty something year old Papa wearing his favorite leather jacket, black hair slicked back, huge toothy grin, muscles flexed, tan skin glowing in the sun, brown eyes glistening like pools of honey. He's alone next to his old car Upstate. I pack that photo too.

Next, I head to the master bedroom closet and unlock the safe, taking out many of the valuable belongings. With me, I also take Papa's leather jacket and silver watch. It still smells of Cuban Cigars, Papa's signature scent.

"Y/N, what's this?" Raph asks, pointing at a tiny blinking light in the corner of the living room.

"Shit!" I shout, "a camera."

"I'm on it." Raph says, quickly destroying the camera with his fist and twin sais.

"It's already 12:45, they should be finishing up their delivery soon and Ace might check the security cameras. I don't even know how many we have in this apartment. We gotta go." I urge Raph. He carries my few belongings for me back to the lair.

After unpacking, I settle down to watch my favorite comfort movie with the guys. Midway through, my eyes water and there's a lump in my throat. Tears begin streaming down my cheeks.

"Y/N, what's wrong?" Raph asks, placing a hand on my shoulder. I shake my head.

"I don't know!" I quickly dismiss myself from the movie and rush into Raph's room. I lay on my stomach and shove my face into his pillow, beginning to sob.

Raph places a hand on my back, gently rubbing it. He hushes me, assuring me I'm safe here and everything will be alright.

"It's just not fair! Ace used to be such a nice brother when Papa was around. With Mama and Papa we were a sorta normal happy little family. I miss it!" I cry. Raph continues to rub my back and comfort me.

"You're right, it isn't fair, baby. The way you were treated wasn't fair. You didn't deserve to go through that hell." I sniffle and wipe my tears away with my sleeve. "I swear to God I will hunt these people down and make them pay for what they've done to you. You deserve a normal life with people who love you. I know I can't give you a normal life, but you got my brothers and me as your new supports. You're safe now and taken care of here."

A wave of relief rushes over me yet I sob harder. It's cathartic, letting out all my pent up anger, frustrations, and fear. I never had the chance to before. I always had my guard up, defending myself from the next attack, preparing for another beating or screaming match. Now, I am safe.

Donnie knocks on the door, offering me a glass of cold water. I take it, sniffling, but finally calming down. "You know, it's scientifically proven that you can't cry and drink at the same time. Plus, you're dehydrated from all that crying and need some water anyways." He says.

"Not the time, Donnie." Raph says through gritted teeth. I giggle.

"No, it's okay. Thanks for the water."

Donnie leaves the room then Raph and I chat. He's so funny and his smoothe voice always puts me at ease. He's almost too perfect to be real.

He explains that tomorrow I'll probably get to meet April. I've never really spent time with a teen girl my age who isn't in a gang. I get giddy with excitement. Finally, I may have a girl friend!