Chapter 3

I woke up earlier than most days, I had stayed up last night thinking about so many things. Thinking about the secret matters I had with professor Figs, about a weird painting I saw in one of the west corridors, about a mean remark Ominis Gaunt spewed at me, and about Sebastian.

Him helping me yesterday with potions did start a bit awkward, but after a few minutes, I was able actually to focus on the potion instead of Sebastian.

He himself seemed a bit distracted at first, but I'm sure I just imagine things.

I started getting ready for the day, I went to the lavatories, got dressed, and then walked down to the common room. The slytherin common room was lit by a beautiful blue haze in the mornings.

A few people were already awake as well, most just minding their own business. I saw Ominis sitting down by the window.

I was curious about Ominis Gaunt. He seemed interesting, and if I eventually wanted to find my way into Sebastian's heart...I ought to think being amiable with his best friend would be a given.

But sometimes I felt like Ominis hated the likes of me. Yesterday as I walked past him he made a comment about how "there is such a thing as trying too hard" about me fighting the troll at Hogsmeade.

That coming from him sort of hurt, especially since he and Sallow are so close, I wondered if Sebastian thought I was trying too hard as well.

But regardless, I didn't approach Ominis; instead, I just took a pastry from the table and was about to sit nearby him when he himself somehow called me by name, "Y/n?"

"Mhm?" I walked towards him with half a pastry in my mouth.

...how did he even know it was me...

"I did not take you to be someone who wakes up early," He said with that derogatory tone he always uses.

"I don't usually, but last night I simply just couldn't sleep" I finished my pastry.

"Something occupying your mind?" He asked almost in a jovial manner.

I rolled my eyes as if he didn't have some part in not letting me sleep, "I was just awake thinking of more ways to fight trolls for attention"

Ominis scoffed and slightly smirked, "I guess that really bothered you"

I thought for a moment, "What do you usually do when you have a lot on your mind?"

Ominis pressed his lips together, seemingly thinking for a bit, "I talk about it with a close friend, like Sebastian"

"That makes sense," I said defeated, knowing I could not talk to anyone about my matters with Fig and Ranrok.

Almost as if Ominis sensed my disappointment, he said "I gather these things on your mind aren't things you'd wanna talk to someone about?"

"I'm afraid even if I wanted to I couldn't" I responded.

"It seems like you might be going through a lot by yourself, don't push away those who stick by your side," he said. 

Perhaps my perception of Ominis was wrong, he seemed to be trying to make me feel better. And his words actually did make a difference.

"Thank you Ominis, I really appreciate your advice" I placed my hand on his shoulder.

He nodded.

"Ominis!" A familiar face had both me and Ominis turn to the opposite side of the room.

It was none other than Sallow.

He was an early riser too? Odd. Considering he's always late to class.

I couldn't help peeping at Sallow's small glimpse at my hand still on Ominis' shoulder.

I stepped back from him and made room for Sebastian to join us.

"Morning" Ominis said.

I also directed myself at Sebastian, "Good morning Sebastian"

Sallow seemed to be still adjusting his collar, "What's the topic of discussion this early in the morning" his morning voice was lower than usual. It was rather pleasing.

"I was just telling Ominis I couldn't sleep last night" I responded.

Ominis almost instantly added, "it seems like all of us had a tough day yesterday"

He directed himself at Sallow, "You seemed like you weren't having a great time yesterday morning either... but after your potions class you were in the best mood I've seen you all week"

I turned to Sebastian, whose cheeks were completely flushed.

"Is that so?" I smiled at him, he now had his hand caressing his brow bone.

He cleared his throat, "Yeah, I mean, I just really enjoy that subject"

Ominis raised one eyebrow at him.

I had never seen Sallow in such distress, my mind raced with delusional thoughts, perhaps he enjoyed tutoring me after class? Was I too delusional to believe that?

"We should go get some breakfast!" Sebastian said almost positively in an attempt to end the conversation.

Ominis nodded, "Alright"

"I have to take care of some things, but I'll catch you both later" I waved them goodbye.

And I actually did unfortunately have stuff to take care of, with Professor Figs in the map chamber.

-

-

-

-